Equalizers

AlecIrwin

I have always been told that the best amount of equalizer is the "least" amount of equalizer you need to apply to a system. For my ears, doing anything more than adding some treble in environments where a speaker (person) is trying to reach a lot of people in a large room, or adding or taking away bass as necessary in music, equalizers sound gross, and "fake." I have a new teacher who INSISTS that "EQ'ing" a house is a "complex skill that it takes a true professional sound person to do." I have actually heard stories of "professional sound guys" trying to avoid feedback by turning every frequency range as low as they can. What do you think is the appropriate amount of use in equalizers, especially in a professional environment?

actually an eq should be used to cut, not too often do you want them to boost signal. It does take quite an ear to do but what level is a professional. I can't tune a room exactly but I have enough of an ear to find frequencies causing feedback to cut those specific frequencies.

Now is this just for personal knowledge or is there an application involved?

Well I suppose you could argue that I am asking for either reason. I would personally like to know, and hopefully apply it to whatever work I do. It has also been a discrepancy between teachers that I have had I was curious if I could find different insight for. It does sound for the most part like it is one of those situations where everyone will have a slightly different opinion.

For instance a bit ago my high school did a play and the technical director rented microphones from a guy who had a list of instructions on how to "properly equalize" his microphones because they had a "higher tendency to pick up lows and you should try to balance out the ranges and..." so forth. That is what sparked my curiosity as to what CB would have to say.

Good Morning Alec

The first thing is to know the difference between EQing the HOUSE & EQing the mic’s
If you don’t start with a flat HOUSE you will be fighting yourself every time.
Send pink noise through the system to get a flat response from your speakers , with a RTA if you have one
& getting a good sound from any mic will be easier. ( with the ch EQ )

The first thing is to know the difference between EQing the HOUSE & EQing the mic’s
If you don’t start with a flat HOUSE you will be fighting yourself every time.
Send pink noise through the system to get a flat response from your speakers , with a RTA if you have one
& getting a good sound from any mic will be easier. ( with the ch EQ )
I have to disagree with this. First, a flat response is not always the most desirable response, just like many other aspects of audio you need to consider the situation as different situations may relate to different goals. For example, a flat response may be desirable as a baseline response for a tour house system but it may not be what is desired for a system that is focused on speech intelligibility, a stage monitor or a system used for some genres of music.

Second, it is important to realize that the system response can vary throughout a venue. It is virtually impossible to get the same response throughout a large listener area, thus what can be important is developing a feel for the general goals and how any adjustments made for one location may affect other locations. In some applications it may be decided to optimize the response for some specific seats even if at the expense of others while in other applications the goal may be to balance the compromises at any seat, with the result that no seat has the actual desired response.

Third, while a RTA is better than nothing, it is limited and especially in the hands of anyone who does not understand all of the factors that may be affecting the frequency response shown. Rather than try to address the subject all over there is a good synopsis at http://www.bennettprescott.com/downloads/devil_with_rta.pdf. The bottom line is that relying solely on a RTA can lead to spending hours trying to address something that doesn't really matter or that can't be fixed with equalization. Tools such as dual channel analyzers can show additional information that can be very useful but that also requires sufficient understanding of what is being shown and what it represents.

A concept that was sort of a breakthrough for me was when I realized that tuning an audio system is actually trying to address several potential factors. The general concept is that a system tuning may often be trying to address:

1. Individual speakers.
  2. Speaker arrays or clusters.
  3. The effects of nearby surfaces.
  4. The effects of multiple, physically separated sound sources.
  5. General room acoustics.
  6. Gain before feedback.
  7. Subjective or artistic considerations.

Every situation may be slightly different in terms of the factors involved and which can be modified or adjusted, the system tuning tools available, the system analysis tools available and how effectively they can be applied, the goals and so on. Some tuning aspects may be addressed by the equipment manufacturers and some may be set once and not have to be adjusted while others aspects may be different for each use. But the concept that you are actually usually addressing multiple facets really helped me better understand the tradeoffs and goals involved and especially what may or may not be important or possible to see and/or address with the tools available.

In general, I believe that it is important in system tuning understand what you are trying to achieve and what is possible, that is where the level of experience and knowledge may impact what is possible. Anyone with pink noise and a RTA may be able to make improvements, but they may be limited in the improvements possible or understanding how what they do in one area may affect others. And in the end, no matter what tools are used for the analysis or tuning, it has to sound good to the listeners.

Pretty much in complete agreement with Brad on this. I think you need to understand what you can and cannot do with an equalizer. You cannot fix time based problems. You can boost or cut depending on what you are trying to do, although boosting to fix acoustic cancellations will likely not produce and benefits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back