Equity Opening up enrollment; providing more equity.

Van

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
Actors Equity Association is opening up new opportunities for Actors and Stage Managers alike. Membership has long been a coveted status requiring a certain number of hours of employment in an Equity house. That rule is being eliminated and individuals my now join join based on ANY professional experience i.e. work at any theatre for which they were compensated. Equity has seen quite a few changes in the recent years and flagging membership in locals being an important one. Often perceived as lacking in local interests by their locals it appears the national committee is working to boost membership. It will be interesting to see other changes as they begin to attempt to address issues that have developed such as pay equity between members and non-members and truly being an "industry" representative rather than just for members. <edit: adding this link to a full story at deadline.com>
Please see your local for further details below is just a snippet:

218028446_10165300981370277_6863994185374542556_n.jpg

Last edited:
Completely cynical feedback on this announcement:
I think this has more to do with needing more money that being open to all.... Maybe it's a little of both, but I think this is more monetarily motivated than anything.... "Can you pay dues on a regular basis?! WELCOME!"

I think this has more to do with needing more money that being open to all.... Maybe it's a little of both, but I think this is more monetarily motivated than anything.... "Can you pay dues on a regular basis?! WELCOME!"
I would not disagree with you on that point. There is a HUGE issue with running a ton of small, local theatres out of business too. Once everyone is AEA no one will be able to do Community Theatre. Many SPT theatres will not be able to hire that many AEA actors if that's all that is available. It will be interesting. I am very much in favor of Unions I think strong locals are extremely important. I'm not sure this is a good move yet.

I agree, I kind of look at this and think of the ACT IATSE card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back