Ergonomics of Moving Light cases

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Allana, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Allana

Allana Member

Moving Lights are heavy.
    What is the best way to add/remove a light from a road case without muscle strain/getting injured? Is there any hope for short people?

Some cases require a lift which is definitely outside your ideal lifting range and there isn't enough room for more than 2 people to work on it. Some cases involve a slide out door (these are better!) but those are always the heavier lights and it never fails that the lamp-head will get caught on its entrance so a lot extra lifting and wiggling before actually being able to let go.

The lighting manufacturers are not the same companies who made the road cases so is it the road case manufacturer's poor design and thus liability?
    I want a video of someone removing a light from a box with the best posture that education can buy. Who do I ask for that?

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. sk8rsdad

sk8rsdad Well-Known Member Premium Member Fight Leukemia

I suppose one could use an engine hoist, block & tackle, chain hoist, or something like that to provide some mechanical assistance to the process. There's also the option of moving the road case to some place where 2 or more people could wrestle it out of the road case, put the fixture on top of the closed lid, then wheel the road case with the fixture atop back to where it is needed.

In my venue we have the option of lowering the motorized battens and lifting the fixture straight out of the road case which can reduce the effort when a heavy fixture comes with half-couplers.

Allana and RonHebbard like this.
  3. macsound

macsound Well-Known Member

For small conventions or outdoor events, we would often have one moving light hung vertically on pipe and base. We'd just lay the pipe across the road case, using a chair on the base end if necessary to make more horizontal, tighten the clamps, remove chair and angle lift to vertical.

4. danTt

danTt Well-Known Member

Master Electrician
    Just do it like you do hampers--dump the case upside-down and shake until the light comes out.

Oh, and always make sure they are rental units, this parts important.

Allana, JohnD, egilson1 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Amiers

Amiers Renting to Corporate One Fixture at a Time.

Lighting Floor Tech
    Taking a note of how they treat rentals in NY check!

Out in the wild where is no good way to get a light out except with care and an extra hand.

In the shop think smarter and get a chain hoist or something mechanical and let that do the lifting for you.

6. What Rigger?

What Rigger? I'm so fly....I Neverland.

Part rigger, part bouncer. All machine.
    Team lift (meaning get another set of hands), every time you (or anyone else) need it. Don't wreck your body for your gig.

Phil Heid, Jim Norton, Allana and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice