ETC Acclaim/Microvision

disc2slick

The theater group I work with at my college has just recently gotten to opportunity to one of the old lighting consoles from a local theater. The two they are offerin are an ETC Acclaim or an ETC Microvision FX. Does anyone know anything about these boards, in terms of quality. They told us to make an offer for the price, any ideas as to what a good price we could expect to pay is?

-dan

Acclaim sucks, that much I know from personal experience.

The Acclaim is essentially a 2 scene preset board. Plug and play. Plug in the DMX and bring up the faders to get lights up. It couldn't be simpler. Simple is it though, as you won't be running cues with a go button on it. If it is the 100 series, then it will have submasters as well. I'm not quite as clear on the features of the older models.

I work for a rental company that happens to own some Acclaims (not trying to advertise - just offering advice), and they go out quite frequently. Some people just love them for their simplicity, especially for the film or tv production market, and many of these people prefer the Acclaim over a newer substitute, like something from Leprecon, NSI, or Lightronics.

BUT, there are some drawbacks. An Acclaim is a very BIG board compared to some of the other comprable boards today, like something from NSI, Leprecon or Lightronics.

A used 2 scene 24 channel Acclaim would retail for $1300 with a case while a used 2 scene 36 channel with a case would retail for $1500. (Just giving you an idea - not trying to advertise)

If it were me, I'd definitely take it if the price was right, because a DMX 2 scene preset console will always have value, both to you as a tool for small productions or as testing tool, and to others. (You can always sell it and recoup your investment as long as DMX dimmers and gadgets exist)

Take a look at eBay and see what a simple 2 scene console from Leprecon, NSI, or Lightronics is selling for. (Probably for much less than $500) The Acclaim would be a steal for $250 - $400. For more than $500 you could get something newer and smaller on eBay with a few more features. (I've had great luck personally with the Leprecon 612 / 624 and have heard good things about the NSI and Lightronics boards)

As for the Microvision FX, it's a similar story with some major differences. Popular board with the ETC logo on it, so it fetches a good price. This board is definitely compact and is a computer board and still has value to a small group of people. If it's working and reliable then it's definitely a good tool to have in your inventory, as a backup or touring board if nothing else. I'd be weary of paying anything more than $1000 for it, as again, newer products are available with similar features in smaller packages for about the same price.

That's a really quick overview off the top of my head, so don't make any rash decisions based on what I say. Check out www.etcconnect.com - they should still have manuals for the Acclaim 100 series and the Microvision FX.

Hopefully helps you a little bit. Feel free to private message me with any questions.
An

you should laugh and walk away from the price of $1200 for a used microvison fx...its a decent board for its time...we use 2 as back ups for our etc express...but they are outdated...it really depends on the condition of the board...and what comes with the board...

Hi,

First of all I should make it clear that all my references to the Acclaim are based on my experience with the Acclaim 300. The Acclaim 100 is just a regular two-scene-preset. Since you haven't specified which model of the Acclaim, I going to give my experiences with the 300.

My experience with the ETC Acclaim is limited to a 48/96 model that we used in my high school black-box theatre my freshman and sophmore years. Due to its extremely large size and bizarre operational quirks (it had some issues) it was lovingly termed the "surfboard of death."

That having been said, it was a work-horse. You can run it as a two-scene-preset if you desire or you can run it as a rudimentary computer board. It is possible to save cues. They are not in a cue list, per-se. How we operated it is that we hit the load button for each playback fader and then hit the bump buttons corresponding to the numbers of the cues. You can put in a fade time with two "time" faders. You then move the cross faders as you would a two scene pre-set, but the board takes care of the fade timing.

It is not as basic as a regular two scene pre-set. It will also perform basic chases and has a soft patch function. It's also a great teaching tool. My first lighting experience was on this board and most of what I learned has transfered nicely to the Express's, Expression I, Expression III and Obsession II I have moved up to. The concept of designing and recording a cue still holds even if it does get a little more complicated than the Acclaim's storing of only "looks."

Give it good consideration. It'll (probably) treat you well.

All the best,
Anand

So, to give some closure to this conversation, we wound up purchasing the Microvision, mostly because I was tired of dealing with presets. We got the board, and two monitors along w/ 12 Altman lekos (and all their accessories) for a total of $837. All in all I feel like we made out pretty well.

-dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back