etc boards

A little birdy told me to expect something at LDI.

The problem is that console development, or any product development, for that matter, is at best, an in-exact science. The goal may be to release it at LDI this year, but there are several things that could affect that. We can always hope though...

my budget is limited to how good of a salesman I am...I say...20k-25k. The reason I need a new board is simple...the old board got too much attitude at all the wronge times this year. I pull up a single channel and 18 lights comming up is not a good thing. Neither is the board crashing at the drop of a hat. This is the best time for me to sell a board to admin based on problems that they have personnaly seen happen. Would someone care to address the problems that could arise from the congo being made overseas. Could I get service in state (texas) or if the board has troubles...am I going to have to send it to halfway around the globe. "if anything can go wronge with lighting...it will". I believe someone famous once said that. :lol: Rightnow the two boards I will be looking at the strongest...based on your comments...will be the congo jr. with the add-on and the strand lineup. Does anyone know roundbout what the strand lineup costs.

Congo not's made overseas. It's made right here in the good ole US of A. (Madison, WI) The software was developed overseas, but that's it.

You should be able to get service in Texas as there are several factory certified service centers in the state. It all depends on where you are as to who you might use.

Can I ask where in Texas you are? I can arrange for a demo of the Congo Jr. if you would like...

Jeff

I live in Paris, Tx...up in the southeast...i'm bout an 2 hours out of Dallas. I'm actually getting a demo of the Congo today....I'm pumped. Though, I'm sure I probably will stand a better chance of getting the jr. I've played with the jr...and I like the jr...but we have U.I.L (high schoolers) come in who need sliders and so forth. I probably will get the addon if I get the jr. But, I'm not sure how much more it will cost. Guess I'll find out today.

Hey Icewolf any word of when ION's coming? I had a rep tell me about a year ago that it would be around 2 years until they were done. I also had a rep at LDI say he thought that "EOS Jr." might be out sometime late spring or early summer... as in VERY soon.

According to Karl (though this could change) we will probably see the ION by the end of the year. I think I mentioned that it is designed to replace the express/expression line. There are also some hints that you may be able to get a scaled back version (basically just a face panel) that could be used as a remote face panel for the EOS.

We will probably see a demo/beta console when they come out because karl usually sends things like that our way. We picked apart a prerelease EOS back in September. My theatre is not really the target market for ION in that we are a larger scale, but it will be interesting to see, so i will keep you all posted.

Well if your budget goes up to $25k you can easily afford Jr. and a wing panel... I've been told right around $15k for that. And you can also afford the base version of the full Congo at about $23k (they charge more depending on the number of universes and channels).

One cool thing about the big board is that you can program all those"submasters" not what they call them on Congo but that's what they are. Then you can program a description of what they are onto the LCD screen. Making it much easier for you to set up a bunch of subs and let someone with VERY minimal training use the board. From what I can determine, the only real difference between the two consoles are: programmable LCD screens, more sliders than the wing panel, the ability to run more channels/universes... and that's about it.

Again, you really should take a look at the strand consoles in person as well. Congo is probably a little more powerful of a tool but the strand consoles are probably a lot easier for teaching.

I'll drop a note to my local Strand Rep and get a list price on a 2 scene preset for you. I know the Classic Palette with 500 channels lists at $20k but sells down around $15k. The big sexy Light Pallets run $35k-$45k... so you can forget about them (but I would rather have a Congo or EOS than those anyway).

Well my Strand rep is out of town. But my guess is the 2 scene preset costs about the same as the classic palette, at around $15k street price (less channels for the software but more hardware sliders so it seems like a push in price).

How many dimmers are you running? What brand and model are they? We need to know if the dimmers are running on true DMX protocol or "something else". If it's an older system it could be running on some proprietary form of DMX or something pre-DMX all together.

Colortran I96... your dimmers are pretty new then and should have no problem with any of the new consoles. If you only have 72 dimmers that helps keep your price down. You only need a console for 100 channels. A lot of the gear out there you pay extra to have more channels unlocked.

Ignoring brand... what style of console would you prefer?
2 scene preset, something with a ton of submasters, a smaller console with moderate amount of submasters, A console with encoder wheels for doing lots of intelligent gear...

How did you like the Congo demo?

I'm looking for a board that is "right sexy." Actually, I'm looking for a board that is going to have some staying power. I need something that is going to bring my theatre up to date and keep us there for a few years. I also need a board that I can train students on. I agree that user friendly boards can be nice, but I think students should have to work for their education. That is partially why I'm leaning in the direction of the Congo Jr. It doesn't sound too user friendly. I think if a board is too easy, it is not going to prepare them for boards like the grand MA and hog...etc.
I did find out that my demo was not today, but tomorrow. As it turns out, jmabray is going to be demoing the Congo Jr. for me. I will give you all the low down on my impression after I play with it in my facilities. If I hate it, I will still admit....it is a right sexy board

Still think if you want something with staying power you should wait for ION, or maybe get the Grand MA light if you are wanting to train students for consoles like that. EOS and ION will most likely become the next industry standard, seeing as that is what ETC usually manages to do, so they are probably your best bets for staying with the times.

Hey Just heard back from my Strand Rep. The two 48/96 two scene preset with 32 subs and 100 channels lists at $7500 without the monitor. So you're probably looking at down around $6k street price. Here's the PDF spec sheet.

Yeah I agree it would be great to wait to check out ION but it doesn't sound like you have that option. It's likely that the ION will be very popular but who knows, the Strand's may reclaim the top... I'm telling you that Horizon software is really easy to use. If ION doesn't adopt a more user friendly software than the old Expression software, ETC may lose out.

The Strand is a great option if you want something easy to teach but capable of intelligent gear use. On the other hand Congo is WAY sexier and gives you a lot more power with those intelli's but the learning curve is rough for teaching new kids.

Let me drop this hint again...Compulite Dlite.

Compulite is the maker of some of the most powerful consoles in the industry, and this will be a very good console to get them used to the multiple playback type of console for a reasonable price. The console has the ability to connect one monitor, and has a small touchscreen for moving light or accessory parameters. It will introduce them to touchscreens, moving light encoders, and the concept of multiple playbacks (20 of them on any Dlite). This console also has the Compulite name behind it. After reading the manual, and reading a few reviews (I was stupid and didn't bookmark them, and now can't find them! Workin' on it!), I really think that it would work well for you. You can get the 72 model or the 96 model, either has a huge amount of power behind it, the only difference is the number of faders. All have 20 subs/playback faders. The channel faders can also take on the function of wide mode (full channel/single scene mode), 2-scene mode, and the uuber-cool context mode "for object selection and programming."

While they do have the ability to operate 20 playbacks simultaneously in the 20 sub/playback faders, there is also a traditional theater cuestack crossfader.

So here it is,
I have about 1 1/2 months to select a new lighting console. Our old colortran is ready for the grave yard. I work in a 365 seat junior college theatre. I want an ETC because it has been the industry standard for the last 10+ years and I think it will continue to be so for awhile. So, I thought this would be easy. Then I find out that the expression line is going away...what am I left with? I'm scared of the congo because I hear that if it breaks down...I would have to send it halfway around the globe to get it fixed (I live in TX). The AEO is so new...and I don't know if I can get a demo on it. Both of which I might have to get a new dimmer rack for as well. Question, if you had to get a board from ETC for a small college setting...what would you be looking at?

Heres the lay down for how you might want to choose an ETC Console
First of all how many dimmers do you have?
Second, Do you have any moving lights or multichannel scrollers?

then here is how it goes:

The ETC Express Series starting with:
ETC Express 24-48: capable of controlling at most 96 channels on 48 channels, it can become a very crowded board when you are programming because the submasters (24 of them 10 page capacity) take up the bottom row of channel faders and you only have 48 channel faders.
ETC Express 48-96: Capable of 192 channel capacity. 96 total channel faders and 24 seperate submaster faders. Good sized board for your theater if you do not need to control moving lights but like to have flexible patching lay outs on channel faders and 24 submasters (10 page memory so technically 240 subs).
ETC Express 72-144: Identical in layout of submasters and channel faders, except there are 144 channel faders on the board and I believe maximum number of controllable channels is 240.
ETC Express 125-250: same size board as Express 24-48, Maximum controllable number of dimmers is 500(?) and it relies on only 24 submasters to control all of the channels (either 125 or 250)\
All of the above have a mximum dimmer control of 1024 dimmers

If you need moving light capabilities but you are on a budget take a look at these two Expression family boards:

ETC Expression 3: has 24 submasters on 10 pages of memory, 6 moving light encoders and an option of channel capacity from the following ranges 400/800/ or 1200 channels. The maximum number of controllable dimmers is 1024

ETC Insight 3: Has 108 dual capability faders (they can be either used as subs or channel faders) and has a 10 page memory capacity. Again there are 6 moving light encoders on this board.

For all of the expression family boards above you may choose to run ETCs Emphasis system on the board which allows for previsualization of the the show in WYSIWYG console addition. The channel capacities are set in these versions from any where between 2500 channels to 5000 channels.

Now if you have the money these two new boards are worth a look at:

ETC Congo: good board for moving lights but you need to learn a new programming syntax.

ETC EOS: This board is made to control moving lights scrollers and conventional fixtures with ease. there are two built in LCD touch screen monitors for encoders and other functions and two external LCD monitors for Displays. There are 10 motorized faders with 24 pages of memory for storing submasters or other effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back