ETC ColorSource 40 Question

LPdan

Quick question, as I don't see it addressed in the user manual. On the ETC ColorSource 40 console, which handles only 80 devices, must the DMX addresses be between 1-80, or can you choose any 80 DMX addresses you want across the 1-512 range? I don't have this console to try it, just interested in it.

You can patch the DMX addresses wherever. The limitation is 80 control channels/devices. The only limitation on parameters or outputs is 512, since the ColorSource 40 only has 1 DMX universe.

Let's say you want 80 fixtures that are 6 parameters each -- LED's with (1) Red Intensity, (2) Green Intensity, (3) Blue Intensity, (4) Amber Intensity, (5) White Intensity, and (6) Strobe. If you gave each fixture a unique DMX control channel, you would eat up DMX addresses 1-480, but because you did not exceed the 80 control channels it would work.

If you duplicated some of those fixtures on the same control channels (multiple fixtures assigned to the same DMX addresses), you could do 120 fixtures if you wanted, just so long as the console only has 80 control channels patched into it. You might just have to do a couple DMX opto splitters to split your DMX cabling up a little. 120 fixtures on the same chain of DMX cable can cause trouble.

Correct. You can use those 512 outputs however you like. You just can't patch more than 80 control channels.

So just curious - so is it true that you could NOT patch a full rack of 96 dimmers as 96 channels, but you COULD create a single channel with 96 parameter channels to control a full 96 rack?

Might as well pull out all the stops and pixel map your rig, hire a high schooler from the AV and film club, and program your lighting cues through playing back edited videos.

Have you checked out the tutorials for the console at youtube. I tried to link the video but for some reason my post vanishes when I hit post reply. Look for the [Patching-add device] one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back