ETC ColorSource Console

TJCornish

proxy.php

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChurchProdMag/status/711386902289649664

I heard this was coming - here's the first picture I've seen.

Here's a few more facts to keep you occupied until spec sheets are released:

Color Source Console 20/40:
20/40 faders, 40/80 control channels
4 configurable faders
5 configurable softkeys
7" multi touch screen
1 5-pin DMX port
1 USB port

Color Source Console 20/40 AV:
20/40 faders, 40/80 control channels
4 configurable faders
5 configurable softkeys
7" multi touch screen
2 5-pin DMX port
1 RJ45 port (up to 5 universes of SACN)
2 USB ports
Stereo audio in and out
1 HDMI port (video playback or monitor)
Smartphone/tablet companion app

I wonder if it will hit a similar price point. The touch screen suggests not, but who knows. I haven't been entirely impressed with the ColorSource line -- the push buttons on the ColorSource Spot are, to use a technical term, a little dinky.

There's a lot I think could be developed on the console side of things (even with all the advancement of the Eos software) -- so it comes across as a little amusing that time and energy is being spent in this market.

I'm not sure if ETC meant to release this video yet, but here is an interduction video for the ColorSource Consoles

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If it has a real cue stack (which I thought I saw in the video) than this looks fantastic for small schools/small community theaters/children's theaters. I can think of at least a few local groups that this would be perfect for.

I have a SmartFade ML and really like it. I tried a Cognito and didn't.

I'm spending time right now getting fluent on Martin M-PC/M-Touch. This is my first serious run at a "real" console, and it's a little daunting. There is very little in the middle between lower-end two-scene consoles and DJ junk and full-blown desks like MA/Hog/Cobalt/Martin/Chamsys, etc. I welcome any serious attempts at the middle ground - both in terms of price and capability.

Hopefully @dvsDave got to spend some time with it. (film at eleven)?

Yes, I do have video coming of the colorsource.

I seem to remember a price point of $1700 for the smaller console.

LIST Prices:

Color Source 20- $1800
Color Source 40- $2700

I'm sure we will see them cheaper in reality. But that price point isn't too bad. It's competition, Jands Stage CL & Cognito, range in those prices.

http://www.musson.com/colorsource-20-console.html

Musson has the following prices:

20: $1,399.00
40: $2,159.00
20AV: $2,399.00
40AV: $3,160.00

I'm interested to know if you can create a custom fixture for non-RDM devices. The community center/theater I work at would benefit greatly from even just the CS20, but I have to know if the LED fixtures we currently have would work on one fader or if it would be little better than what we have now.

I'm sure there will be a way to build fixture profiles. These days any console without that is nearly useless. RDM is great but hardly universal, especially in the low end market they are playing to.

Other key questions to be answered: When will it ship? Do you want V1.00 software?

Soundcraft added DMX to a sound mixing board, now ETC is adding audio to a lighting console. Interesting...

Wish the non-AV board would've included the Ethernet port, but overall I like them. Seems very intuitive from the video.

Video is finally here. Took a while to upload it in full 1080p.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think that one of the coolest things with this is that now, for entry level spaces (think middle schools and the like), you can have one button that triggers an entire effect such as a lightning effect that has both light and sound elements.

I'm also surprised that there is no ethernet port on the base model. There is a growing market segment which is using a tablet app for both sound mixing and lighting control. Bar bands and wedding bands come to mind. There also seems to be a great divide on what remote apps are for, on one end they are primarily a glorified focus remote, and on the other end (Cognito and Avolites) they are designed to run the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back