ETC ColorSource Console

Soundcraft added DMX to a sound mixing board,
Please excuse my intrusion on this ColorSource Console thread for one second. As Alex mentioned the Soundcraft, I thought I'd show how what seems like a silly idea can actually be quite a useful application. I'm sure other consoles could do what ours does in this video - I just happened to shoot this with our console. Congrats to ETC & Eric on the ColorSource Console.

I think that one of the coolest things with this is that now, for entry level spaces (think middle schools and the like), you can have one button that triggers an entire effect such as a lightning effect that has both light and sound elements.
Yeah, I think this console is designed for educational spaces. Mapping faders to fixtures, having the faders control the dimmer function... A simplified drag and drop magic sheet... Looks like it'll be perfect for something like a High School Black-box theater, or a junior high regular theater. There had better be a fixture profile creator though, because my high school sure wouldn't buy anything expensive enough to be RDM capable.

Ooooh. Looks like a nice little group of consoles. Lack of ethernet on the 20 and 40 (non-AV) makes a lot of sense when looking at the design of the Colorsource system with how the Relay works. The 3.5mm jacks make sense on the AV, but I wish they had incorporated the option of stereo XLR output for spaces like mine where sometimes we move the sound console out of the booth and have to use XLR snakes. One less point of failure if I don't need to adapt, and generally a bit more durable. I personally also think it makes more sense in permanent installations where having a locking connector is preferable. I hope the price point is good. I could have used one of these last year in an installation I did at the college I work at (I ended up with a Stagesetter CL).

This is one console that I'm excited to think about in my k-12 school performance space. While it's not as deep as an expert needs, it looks like a good simple product that I can get a 15 year old kid to run on show night. I really like the sound effects as well.

Does anyone know how this translates into future lighting set ups? Like when I was growing up on the older ETC consoles (the Bat-Console!), the input and programming language was pretty simple and worked for years. I'm out of touch now-a-days, but do you pros think this is a good starting point for kids to become passionate about lighting design?

This is one console that I'm excited to think about in my k-12 school performance space. While it's not as deep as an expert needs, it looks like a good simple product that I can get a 15 year old kid to run on show night. I really like the sound effects as well.

Does anyone know how this translates into future lighting set ups? Like when I was growing up on the older ETC consoles (the Bat-Console!), the input and programming language was pretty simple and worked for years. I'm out of touch now-a-days, but do you pros think this is a good starting point for kids to become passionate about lighting design?

What's the "Bat Console ?"

As to consoles, I'm a believer in the Eos operating system, especially as students that learn on an Element have a short leap to an Ion or Gio/Eos. I get the sense that the ColorSource console is not Eos based, thus more a leap when/if moving up.

Only the coolest-looking console ever. Surprised you have to ask.
proxy.php

I'm sure there will be a way to build fixture profiles. These days any console without that is nearly useless. RDM is great but hardly universal, especially in the low end market they are playing to.

Other key questions to be answered: When will it ship? Do you want V1.00 software?
Curious on this too... In particular, will it "easily" incorporate the use of conventional fixtures and other non-RDM devices, i.e. older LEDs?

As to consoles, I'm a believer in the Eos operating system, especially as students that learn on an Element have a short leap to an Ion or Gio/Eos. I get the sense that the ColorSource console is not Eos based, thus more a leap when/if moving up.

I'm thinking about that, but I am completely ignorant about anything past the expression consoles. The "bat console" above is like what I had in my college theatre. Now with the LEDs and Moving fixtures, I'm completely out of the loop! I like the ColorSource console because it looks extremely simplified and even a caveman like me could use it and teach kids to use it. I have no idea what the step up into the Element brand of console does, how it works, or anything. They are also A LOT more expensive than the AV20.

I guess I'm just getting lazy =)

I had a demo on the Colorsource the other day. My feeling is if you do not have a console "past" that brings expectations, then this is pretty spiffy. If you do have expectations, especially based around the EOS software, you might be frustrated at least initially. I feel the same way about Cognito - its different. Put t in a church with operators who work at Motorola but have never run a light board - probably great. Put it in front of a mature ME, maybe not so well received.

I do believe it will handle legacy gear and conventionals just fine. I haven't quite wrapped my head around the single universe in an all LED rig but probably OK and there is the AV version - but channel count will always (or for now) be 40 max.

A brief comparison (AFAIK) between an Element 40 250 and the ColorSource40 AV. Top of the CS line to the bottom Eos family. Both the feature and price differences are far smaller looking across the 'functional gap'. They share a fair number of specs, 2 DMX outs, 40 faders, network integration, RDM. Probably less than $2000 difference, but don't quote me on that!
  1. Fixture Channels; 80 vs 250 - a huge gap. CS is fine for a small rack and a few LEDs, but can't handle a full Sensor. (@BillConnerASTC one U can handle 48 dimmers and 40+ 10 parameter LEDs, that's a lot more than many places will ever have.)
  2. Screens; 7" touchscreen and 1 optional monitor plus some multi-color buttons vs up to 2 HD touchscreens that are highly customizable
  3. Show Capacity; 999 cues, 40 palettes, 27 groups, 400 playbacks vs 10,000 cues, 1000 palettes, 1000 groups, 300 multi-type subs, massive on board storage
  4. Effects; hard to tell exactly but obvious the Eos line has many more types and detailed controls
  5. Ports; 2 USB vs 7; 1 net vs 2 net; plus relay/contact closure & eSATA (depending on hardware age)
  6. Direct Action vs Command line interface - I think this is subtle but very important for both learning curve and professional comfort issues.
  • Element only; Magic Sheets (well it has re-arrangeable tiles), Advanced patching (parts, dimmer curves), Parking?, Effect faders?, Complex Cue timing, looping and Marking, Macros, Snapshots, color paths, multiple color pickers, and more that doesn't come to mind
  • CS only (yes there are some); Audio input and output, multipurpose HDMI out (video cues), 'Sound to light' engine, Video Toy (some of this HAS to get into Eos!)

Well, from recent price sheet - $3950 for the 40 AV and $6195 for the Element 40/250 - so a little more than $2000 but you have to add monitors before the Element will work and the two HD multi-touch screens from ETC are $1500 each.

But my point was they suit different people. Your post points out all the traditional things and strengths that people with a console background want and expect. A lot of people without these expectations could be up and running a CS with basic or no training and self taught, and those same things on an Element would require more training. Direct action vs command line is an whole other discussion, but the world is changing and the command line is disappearing from a lot of software. (I never saw anything that looked liked a command line on Star Trek!)

A comparison with the Cognito would be more apt it seems - or Smart Fades or other lower end board.

I was interested because I am playing with an all Colorsource system for a very small theatre, maybe 60-70 CS fixtures, all run on CS relays and console with a few pieces from the Echo line. I understood the group to have 4 lekos and four wall box dimmers presently.........

My run down was more for @dwardMICS. I see multi touch monitors at $300 each and we all see discounting running rampant. Did they bump the Element up recently? I might also spec a lighting system laptop add-on, at least with the AV model. So many possibilities...

I completely agree that they are for different people and different rigs. Much of what you are saying matches what I've been saying about SmartFade to the pros that complain. Star Trek did have a bunch of actions before hitting a GO. Hmm, a visual command line would be an interesting concept. Anyone playing with Vectorworks Marionette?

I'll see your wall box dimmers and raise you a K-12 gym-a-torium remodeled with only switched fluorescent lights on and off stage.

Well, from recent price sheet - $3950 for the 40 AV and $6195 for the Element 40/250 - so a little more than $2000 but you have to add monitors before the Element will work and the two HD multi-touch screens from ETC are $1500 each.

I'm as big an ETC fan as anyone, but What touch screens are they possibly providing that they justify at $1500 each? The dell s2240t (more touch screen than any element would ever need) is about 250, and backed by one of the better montior manufacturers in the industry. For 6x that price, I certainly hope the monitors have a gold bezel at the very least.

I believe it's a 22 or 23" ELO. I just read the price sheet.
The ELO touch screens are not required with Windows 7 devices, which is all we are shipping now in the Eos range. Best option for a multi-touch monitor is to go to Best Buy and get any Win 7 compatible monitor. We do still have a handful of multi and single touch monitors in the price book for completion of project work.
Best,
Anne

Anyone know when the 40 AV will be available?

Also, does anyone have physical dimensions of the thing?

Lastly, did you see this video yet? Is there a discussion thread for it yet, cause there should be.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The datasheet is available at etcconnect.com. Here is a capture:
ColorsourceDimensions.PNG

ColorsourceDimensions2.PNG

Hey guys, got to play with the ColorSource 20 model today, here are some videos of what I did:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back