ETC ColorSource Par Demo

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
Jim Uphoff of ETC graciously demoed some of the new fixtures ETC has and really showed off the capabilities of their new Lime LED. (intensity and richness of the yellow was just amazing!!) Enjoy!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes, but we are not going to publish those results because we didn't do any sort of baseline or other comparison to that fixture.

I'd like to ask a question here, cause that's an answer I see a lot.

Is not the *purpose* of measurement equipment to provide objective numerical results which *can* be evaluated in combination with other similar sets of numerical results -- that is, to *preclude* the necessity for a shoot-out to be able to come to conclusions about a measured device?

Measurement in a vacuum has limited utility. You have to have context for it to be really useful.

I really want to compare it to other fixtures of a similar type to show which is a better solution.

For instance, we tested a lot of leds for source 4s, but our first goal was to make sure we found an S4 575w fixture we could get a baseline from.

We were comparing the all white LED elipsoidal fixtures with a meter. It was fair to measure an incandescent Source 4 and compare it to products which are being marketed as a S4 LED alternative, like the an Altman Phoenix, PRG ReNEW, Chauvet Ovation and the Kupo LED . We measured the ETC Source Four Tungsten HD fixture set to "white". It looked beautiful and like a perfect incandescent clone. But on the meter it didn't score well in CRI due to low red values. But unlike the other fixtures I just listed you can just turn up the red emitter if you want more. So it was an unfair fixture to compare to the other options which rely on gel to subtract everything but red. The surprising results of those tests will be written up and posted in the days to come.

As for the ETC PAR, it was the only one of its kind on display. If we would have had a conventional PAR, and a variety of LED PARs we could compare to then we would have published those results in a separate article (comparing several different color mixes).

Hmmm. Ok.

That parses to me -- and this is not intended as a slight, by any means -- as "the industry has not yet adapted its measuring techniques to the new paradig-m, and work remains to do to get to where there are numerical measurements that are sufficiently useful.

I am aware, yes, of the work underway to replace CRI with a newer more useful metric; I assume that will be part of it.

In case people haven't seen the discussion in the other thread, it looks like the street price will be in the around $600 depending on the usual mysterious factors of pricing.

We just got 8 (maybe 12?) of these at a venue in town. I think the price was slightly higher (just under or around $700). But when combined with other equipment (and discounts for them) on the PO our established dealer had the best price. Just another case of having a good relationship with a dealer.

We love them. The LD for that theater is disappointed by some of the pastel blues, but not so much that he doesn't plan on getting more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back