ETC ColorSource Spot Jr Announced

Great question! If the accessory gate/slot of the ColorSource Jr is the same size and shape as that of the S4 Jr, then the Smart Move Jr should work just fine.
I haven't yet seen the ColorSource Jr so I can't be sure-

The tech sheet lists just an M-size gobo slot, not an accessory slot. Sure would be nice, though!

The ColorSource series just completely prices so many theatres out

It's retailing for $880 at all the dealer sites, and that's the whole package, minus a clamp and safety cable. It's a lot of versatility for the money, but for many places, yes, LED's are an expensive proposition. However, there are grants to help with going green, tax incentives, and other potentially cost offsetting programs. It's definitely something that needs to be researched thoroughly to see what resources your venue may have available to it in your city, county, state, etc. And fundraising is always an option. Where there's a will, there's a way.

You can't argue with a dimming system that is already installed, of course. But when you compare numbers for reasonably priced LEDs versus new dimmable fixtures and dimmers, you'll find those prices aren't so far apart. A lot of spaces compare fixture price to fixture price without taking the entire system into account. That doesn't help all the existing theaters with existing systems, unfortunately.

Another thing to consider is that with color changing fixtures, you don't have to double or triple hang fixtures to have different colored lights per scene. I did read of one LD however who still insisted on double hanging for more perfect crossfades.

But when you compare numbers for reasonably priced LEDs versus new dimmable fixtures and dimmers, you'll find those prices aren't so far apart. A lot of spaces compare fixture price to fixture price without taking the entire system into account.

There's also likely to be savings in new installations due to needing fewer circuits for the lights (as LEDs use less power than conventional fixtures), and lower air conditioning requirements allowing for smaller units to be selected. And, as was mentioned, these aren't really applicable to existing venues where the infrastructure is already in place.

Another thing to consider is that with color changing fixtures, you don't have to double or triple hang fixtures to have different colored lights per scene. I did read of one LD however who still insisted on double hanging for more perfect crossfades.
The crossfade thing is real and something to be careful in programming. The colors that are created when fading up two distinct colors are very different than when fading between two colors with LEDs or CMY on a moving light.

About a year ago I worked with a church leaving one building that had dimmers and moving into a space without them. Saved a bunch of money because the new building didn't have enough power for the dimmer rack, so we did distributed 20A circuits for Source4WRDS and moving lights and a couple 3phase circuits for smartbars to reuse a limited portion of the conventionals.
I think just the electrical install saved them about $30k so they just spent what they made on selling the old sensor rack and conventionals on some LEDs and were good to go.

You can't argue with a dimming system that is already installed, of course. But when you compare numbers for reasonably priced LEDs versus new dimmable fixtures and dimmers, you'll find those prices aren't so far apart. A lot of spaces compare fixture price to fixture price without taking the entire system into account. That doesn't help all the existing theaters with existing systems, unfortunately.

Most of us are working within existing systems, and a conversion from dimmer-based conventionals to LED's involves not only the cost of the fixtures, but some infrastructure changes as well (i.e. swapping to non-dim modules and/or running AC all over your space)

Crossfade mixing would also happen with a double hung system.... It would just mix a different color than an LED perhaps. Only way to TRULY avoid it would be a blackout to lights up.

The crossfade thing is real and something to be careful in programming. The colors that are created when fading up two distinct colors are very different than when fading between two colors with LEDs or CMY on a moving light.

Funnily enough there's an Eos tool that approximates this (fading between two gel fixtures). Obviously it's better with ETC fixtures, as the Eos knows much more about that fixture than one that isn't one of theirs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back