ETC component ID

Robert

I'm looking at a project and was wondering what dimmer system or generation of dimmers this belongs to. It's about an hour from me and I want to get an idea before I go.

Attachments

• 20200930_160342 (1).jpg
    20200930_160342 (1).jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 290
Wow! A picture worth far fewer than a thousand words. Do you KNOW it's ETC and, if so, how?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
I assume that is based on the ETC logo on the lower left corner of the control panel...but I'm no mind reader.

Based on a quick glance through the ETC web site's section on legacy architectural lighting products, It appears to be either an AAS or a DAS wall station. Both of these systems ultimately output DMX512 and so could be connected to a very wide variety of dimmers--potentially most anything, since DMX512 to most anything else converters exist.

If it's DAS, then L86 or other similar vintage dimmers are indeed likely. AAS persisted for a surprisingly long time as the "basic" option when a full Unison architectural controller would have been overkill, so the dimmers may be more modern. Either way you'll need a little more sleuthing to know for sure what that panel is controlling.

Are they having problems with the existing system, or just looking at upgrades?

If it's DAS, then L86 or other similar vintage dimmers are indeed likely. AAS persisted for a surprisingly long time as the "basic" option when a full Unison architectural controller would have been overkill, so the dimmers may be more modern. Either way you'll need a little more sleuthing to know for sure what that panel is controlling.

Are they having problems with the existing system, or just looking at upgrades?
They're looking to upgrade, but so far everything I see in their photos is circa 1982. The current system has two sets of track lights connected to the dimming system. I head up there in two weeks to take a closer look.

BTW, I had a similar system controlling Sensor dimmers in a venue built in 1992.

Yup, and I know of a local high school that had AAS installed with a Sensor rack around 2002. That was something of an emergency fix after the previous Electro Controls dimmers let the smoke out, so nothing else in the system was upgraded at the time. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I want to say that AAS didn't fully go away until CEM+ added the ability to do basic preset stations.

ETC didn't buy LMI until 1990, so that station would not have been original to a 1982 install.

I'm looking at a project and was wondering what dimmer system or generation of dimmers this belongs to. It's about an hour from me and I want to get an idea before I go.
I would say take the station off the wall and take a pic at the wiring running to it - that will tell you if it is DAS - in my experience as service tech back then it most likely runs to an EMAP ( control processor ) mounted in a beige box probably on the wall next to the dimmer rack ( could be L 86 - look for a big black monster ) or could be early sensor .
if it is DAS using an EMAP upgrade now 😬

That is an Analog Architectural Controller (AAS) wall station, manufactured by ETC. The installation I worked in had 2 of these that were installed in 1992. They were tied into an L86 dimmer rack and were programmed through an access panel on the front of the L86. There was no additional grey box; all electronics were housed inside the L86.

The AAS at that venue had dirty faders, resulting in non linear dimming, ie, lights went from off to about 60% as soon as the slider was raised.

The DAS had buttons (snapshots), no faders -- hence the Digital Architectural Controller.

Last edited:
We had something similar at A theatre I worked in about 8 years ago. Our house lights and work lights were on the last 3-4 dimmers of our rack. There were 3 of these panels throughout the theatre with faders which Could be patched to different dimmers and buttons which could be programmed as presets. The 3 panels acted on a LTP system amongst themselves and HTP in relation to our lighting desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back