ETC Console Order Issues

And here is why the CHIPS Act will be funding the redevelopment of on-shore semiconductor fabrication.

Here's what the US trade association has to say:

That's not gonna help in the short to mid-term. The crunch in chip demand isn't in raw materials, it's the fact that there is only so much capacity from the manufacturers of chip foundries. We can't make chip foundries fast enough for the growing demand.

They are supposed to build a chip plant here in Ohio, but Intel is playing games with the government around subsidies

That's not gonna help in the short to mid-term. The crunch in chip demand isn't in raw materials, it's the fact that there is only so much capacity from the manufacturers of chip foundries. We can't make chip foundries fast enough for the growing demand.
Yes, fearless leader, I understand the difference between 'tactical' and 'strategic'. Even if it doesn't fix *this* shortage, that doesn't mean you don't have to do it. :)

Yes, fearless leader, I understand the difference between 'tactical' and 'strategic'. Even if it doesn't fix *this* shortage, that doesn't mean you don't have to do it. :)
Yeah, we, collectively, still have to make the investment in US chip foundries, even if we have to heavily subsidize them to make them competitive on the global stage. My problem is that we need to invest in basic chip foundries as well as high end foundries. We need Texas Instruments be turning out chips that automotive manufacturers need at a price that's competitive, as well as creating high end sub-10nm chips. We need to have the capacity to run the gamut from basic I/O chips to dsp chips to ESP SoC chips to FGPA chips, to high end CPUs and GPUs.

Yeah, we, collectively, still have to make the investment in US chip foundries, even if we have to heavily subsidize them to make them competitive on the global stage. My problem is that we need to invest in basic chip foundries as well as high end foundries. We need Texas Instruments be turning out chips that automotive manufacturers need at a price that's competitive, as well as creating high end sub-10nm chips. We need to have the capacity to run the gamut from basic I/O chips to dsp chips to ESP SoC chips to FGPA chips, to high end CPUs and GPUs.
Oh, absolutely. Devil is in the details.

I haven't heard anything yet with enough detail to suggest that the people at the pointy end of the stick don't know this; have you?

Oh, absolutely. Devil is in the details.

I haven't heard anything yet with enough detail to suggest that the people at the pointy end of the stick don't know this; have you?
With Intel poised to get the bulk of the CHIPS money, it seems like a reasonable thing to be concerned about.

Looks like my fixtures will be in mid-September. Probably won't un-box them until early November (if the console comes in 10/24, that's too late for our 10/27 opening show, but in time for our mid-Nov dance concert).

I'll hopefully have enough time to get the system up and going so that I can demo the new gear in my design and stagecraft courses.

Looks like my fixtures will be in mid-September. Probably won't un-box them until early November (if the console comes in 10/24, that's too late for our 10/27 opening show, but in time for our mid-Nov dance concert).

I'll hopefully have enough time to get the system up and going so that I can demo the new gear in my design and stagecraft courses.
If these are to be part of a rep rig, you might want to hang them when they come in. In my experience hanging LED fixtures, running power connbetween fixtures, stringing DMX. Etc takes a ton of extra time and work. If you have time now, and will be tight later, you might want to get started.

If these are to be part of a rep rig, you might want to hang them when they come in. In my experience hanging LED fixtures, running power connbetween fixtures, stringing DMX. Etc takes a ton of extra time and work. If you have time now, and will be tight later, you might want to get started.

No rep plot in our space. We move from plays to dance and back each semester, so these will be moved around quite a bit. I will be using some of them on booms come dance concert time.

Found out today that I'll be getting the console a week too late to use in my fall play, and the ColorSource fixtures a week too late to use in the fall dance concert (ugh)

Found out today that I'll be getting the console a week too late to use in my fall play, and the ColorSource fixtures a week too late to use in the fall dance concert (ugh)
You are not alone. I have many customers waiting for consoles and other gear from multiple manufacturers. Delivery dates are still very fluid as a single missed deadline for a component can setback the schedule and pushes back everything. I know it sucks, but you are in good company! Cheers!

I feel your pain, I am waiting on CS Spots and R20 relays. I feel sorry for my dealer, we don't pay POs until complete and one expensive project is waiting on 1 R20 module, everything else is here.

You are not alone. I have many customers waiting for consoles and other gear from multiple manufacturers. Delivery dates are still very fluid as a single missed deadline for a component can setback the schedule and pushes back everything. I know it sucks, but you are in good company! Cheers!
It's better to be p'd off than p'd on.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Edited to Add: After doing more research and communicating directly with ETC, I now think that my issues are not with them at all, but with B&H Photo Video and whatever ETC dealer they ordered the drop shipment through. I wanted to edit this to reflect that, because I’m now getting really good communication directly from ETC.

Anyone know what's going on over at ETC? We ordered a new console (IonXE 20) on December 15, and the initial shipping estimate was 8-10 weeks. That date has since slipped three times. Our last date was supposed to be April 28 and I've been hounding the folks at B&H that sold us the console, but I just received an E-mail saying the date has changed to August 8! I understand that there are global supply issues, but this is getting ridiculous.

Not only that, but they sent B&H a tracking number back in March saying it had been shipped (it was actually for a completely different item shipped to a completely different address) so B&H presumably paid ETC already. And because our business office failed to look into the delivery confirmation B&H sent them back in March, we've already paid.

The situation is getting pretty frustrating.
Hi folx. David Lincecum from ETC. Always hate to insert myself but I wanted to give a view from inside ETC.
The chip shortage has been pretty hellish. In many many cases we have had to redesign circuit boards multiple times and also design them to accept multiple alternative chips. This has also required many reworks to software and firmware. It’s been a whole lot of busy-work to get production going again in all areas of our product lines. It’s still happening weekly!

That said, we hope to ship 200 Ion this month! We shipped over 300 Elements in the past 60 days. It’s hard to explain the mass of interconnected work that had to be completed to break the log jam. People have been working nights and weekends to restore order. On behalf of all ETC employee/owners I apologize for the difficulties it’s caused in the lighting world. We would much rather have avoided all this! Attached photos of Ion production on Friday.

I’m happy to discuss the state of the chip shortage and how we are overcoming it.
My email is firstname dot lastname at etcconnect.com

David

Attachments

• DB8DD035-910B-4F0A-8602-C6A45AAE827E.jpeg
    DB8DD035-910B-4F0A-8602-C6A45AAE827E.jpeg
    685.4 KB · Views: 131
  • B0F6D524-2585-48A2-A74C-C6925D1A0287.jpeg
    B0F6D524-2585-48A2-A74C-C6925D1A0287.jpeg
    622.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 1EB8B096-25CC-4639-A95C-81EC0774B85A.jpeg
    1EB8B096-25CC-4639-A95C-81EC0774B85A.jpeg
    710.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 49768ECA-8773-477E-84B2-E525DD123BC0.jpeg
    49768ECA-8773-477E-84B2-E525DD123BC0.jpeg
    535.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 1210DD5D-4367-4683-889C-4C4471338ACF.jpeg
    1210DD5D-4367-4683-889C-4C4471338ACF.jpeg
    500.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 7DB3ACFA-5B8C-47D2-9DBC-934C73E71550.jpeg
    7DB3ACFA-5B8C-47D2-9DBC-934C73E71550.jpeg
    796.4 KB · Views: 133
Always hate to insert myself but I wanted to give a view from inside ETC.
You are always welcome to chime in! I personally love to hear insights into the companies that many of us know and love. It's easy to sit out here on the internet and forget about all of the people working to make what we do possible. Please thank everyone for their hard work, We appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back