Etc Element Automatic File Backup?

Briguy90

I am wondering if there is a way to automatically backup all files when you save to Disk on the ETC EOS line, specifically the ETC Element. I am hoping to plug a small USB in the back of the console and have it duplicate all saves to the harddrive of the console automatically when ever I save, so it saves in both locations and therefore I have an instant backup. I am hoping this is possible and that someone can explain to me how I can do it. Thanks for any help.

It's not possible with just one console to save to 2 locations simultaneously. If you have a client or backup then any saves will happen on all the networked devices simultaneously. A PC or Mac client can be configured so the save location is also mirrored to a network drive.

Since Eos runs Windows 7 embedded, it is technically possible to configure a console to mirror to a network drive. You would have to propose that as a feature request over at the ETC site.

There's not an inherent console solution for this, though I suppose it is possible to write a Macro or OSC that could accomplish the task depending on your setup... However, you could save to an external drive in a RAID format. They're typically mapped network drives, but USB versions do exist. RAID drives are external drives that mirror one another up to x number of times from 2-( a lot ). An average WD (western digital) RAID drive should run about $350-$500 for a dual mirror.

You could setup a server on your lighting network that will backup your show archive. You can select shared folders inside of Eos Configuration utility. That way the show archive folder will be viewable on the network by another desk or computer. If you setup a server, you could just write a script to pull those files/folder and back them up. Just a thought.

You could setup a server on your lighting network that will backup your show archive. You can select shared folders inside of Eos Configuration utility. That way the show archive folder will be viewable on the network by another desk or computer. If you setup a server, you could just write a script to pull those files/folder and back them up. Just a thought.

Or put the show file archive on a network drive and then do whatever you like. RAID anyone?

There's not an inherent console solution for this, though I suppose it is possible to write a Macro or OSC that could accomplish the task depending on your setup... However, you could save to an external drive in a RAID format. They're typically mapped network drives, but USB versions do exist. RAID drives are external drives that mirror one another up to x number of times from 2-( a lot ). An average WD (western digital) RAID drive should run about $350-$500 for a dual mirror.

Or put the show file archive on a network drive and then do whatever you like. RAID anyone?

Just to clarify, a RAID array, even RAID-0 does not count as a true backup. Just/only storing your critical data on a single RAID array is not any different than having one copy on the hard drive of your console (or computer). RAID arrays provide protection against drive failure while giving you immense storage capacity. RAID-5 and RAID-6 giving the most capacity while still being able to recover from a single or dual drive failure. In the world of data archiving: One is none, two is one, and three is actually backed up."

True digital file backup should follow a 3-2-1 system: 3 copies of critical data, 2 different storage devices/mediums, 1 "off-site" copy. Now, saving your show file to flash drive that leaves the booth with you every night fills two of those criteria (a second device and off-site).

To go back to the OP's question, the simplest way to get a backup copy of your showfile is to setup a computer with Nomad. even without a dongle, since it is capable of saving files, any time you push save on your console, it will save a copy to the nomad machine (or any other online EOS client capable of saving the show). You could take any old computer that meets the specs for nomad and set this up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back