Control/Dimming ETC Element/ Chauvet COLORado question

qnarf

Hi all,
Apologies if this has been asked and answered in the past; I searched but couldn't find an answer to this particular problem.
I've been using COLORado Zooms with an ETC element, and I've been encountering this:
When using the LEDs as part of a wash on a submaster, if an action is taken by the board op that changes the color of the LEDs in any way (firing an effect, or using a submaster bump) they change color and then they turn off.
I'd like them to revert to the submaster wash that's up, not turn off. But how?
I really hope I'm not displaying a huge black hole of ignorance with this question. I've never worked with Chauvet LEDs before and I'm trying to get up to speed.
Thanks for any help you can offer!

This sounds more like a question about Element sub/manual/cue interactions than something specific to Chauvet LEDs.

Color is a non-intensity parameter (NIP) on an Element so by default it is treated as last takes precedent (LTP). So without jumping through hoops the color will not revert to the color that was set on the sub. The intensity likely would unless somebody has changed the default Background state of the sub.

I can't think of any way around this behaviour that doesn't involve patching the color channels as HTP instead of LTP. On Ion, Gio, and Eos I could probably puzzle out something with Release but I don't know if Element provides the multiple-playback fader feature.

You might want to ask over on the ETC forums or call ETC Tech Support since they may have encountered this before.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing I'd say to check is to just check the mode of the Colorado's matches that of the console. It may sound daft but it is possible!

So just to clarify - you essentially only want control of the intensity on the submaster?

Have you tried using "Record Only" and recording just the intesntiy of the fixture on the sub? Just incase there's something else strange happening? I haven't used EOS in a while so I can't remember the exact syntax or even if that would make a difference!

The other thing I'd say to check is that the sub mode is HTP and is set to "Additive" and not as an inhibit. You may (or may not) also want to make it exclusive so that values held up by the sub can't accidentally be recorded into other bits of the console.

When the colorados go off, do they show an intensity of 0 on the console? Or does the intensity still say it's at full? Is there something strange happening with the strobe channel?

Sorry that's a bit vague!

Cheers,

Tom

Hey all,
Problem solved. Turns out we were running an achingly old copy of ETC's software, and updating cleared the problem out.
Thanks for all the ideas and help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back