ETC Element + Chauvet SlimPar 56 Problems

mcp0526

Hello All! First time post. I've adopted this awesome board at a local HS and I'm learning. I've searched for a solution for days, phoned a friend, and searched the forums, but I've still got nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Console: ETC Element 500 channels. One DMX cable output hooked up to the back of the console (one universe only?)
Details: ~250 dimmers to conventional stage pin lights that cover 24 front lights/rows 1-4 overhead electrics as well as house lights.
DMX Connections: One 5 pin DMX out on each overhead electric row and one 5 pin DMX out SL.

Situation: I am trying to add 6 Chauvet SlimPar 56 LED washes to my system to enhance the cyc.

I started with one light to get a feel for it. I have plugged the light into power and the SL DMX output (had to use a 5-3 pin adapter). I have set the light to 7-CH and set the starting address to 400 (figured it wouldn't interfere with anything this far away).

At the board in patch, I have split channel 400 into 7 parts with addresses 400-406. I set the type in the system to the correct Chauvet light. It's output is DMX.

Problem: No DMX control at all. No on/off, dimming, color change, ect. Not even a flicker of hope.

I have tried two different DMX ports and tried a different channel and address, but nothing has helped.

I haven't tried swapping cables. I haven't looked at ports/offset (DMX universes) because I'm not sure if that is relevant.

If anyone has any thoughts about why these are not picking up a signal or sees something I am missing I would really appreciate a reply. I'm willing and excited to learn but I don't have many in-person resources to pull from. Thank you for taking the time to read!

In patch you don't need to split anything into parts. Delete your channel and all of its parts. Try this:

Channel 400 at address 400.
Under Type select SlimPar56 7ch mode

Start there, if still nothing we will try another path.

In patch you don't need to split anything into parts. Delete your channel and all of its parts. Try this:

Channel 400 at address 400.
Under Type select SlimPar56 7ch mode

Start there, if still nothing we will try another path.

I'm pretty sure I tried this in my troubleshooting. When I select a single channel (400) and choose the type as the 7-CH SlimPar56 it automatically generates 7 parts for that channel. I then address 400-406 to that group. I attached a picture of what I am looking at from a test last night (was trying a different channel/address).

Attachments

• Light.jpg
    Light.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 338
That looks strange, newest software installed? I just tried it in Nomad, which is the offline version and it looks nothing like that. Nor on my Eos. Can you show me a screen shot of the live screen of that fixture?

Okay, lets assume that the patch is okay, how is your DMX distributed? Is there any way for you to test signal at the batten? Have you tried unplugging the DMX at the console and plugging the light in there?

Might be time to call ETC, 1-800-688-4116

First, I would check your DMX port addresses. You can do this by exiting the console software and clicking on the Settings button in the start screen. Select local I/O and make sure that the ports are addressed correctly. (See image)

If not, you'll need to do some math to figure out where everything will/should sit. Keep in mind, if you change something here, you'll need to readdress your dimmer racks as well (which I'm slightly curious about).

Secondly, I'd recommend plugging in the fixture directly into the board to see if it works from there. I'm also curious about your DMX distribution...
DMX Connections: One 5 pin DMX out on each overhead electric row and one 5 pin DMX out SL.
Are they all outs? No ins? If that's the case, there's more than likely a splitter (or there should be) in the system somewhere. I would check to see that the DMX has been split properly.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-11-17 15.47.37.png
    Screenshot 2016-11-17 15.47.37.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 295

Users who are viewing this thread

Back