ETC Element: How to find the dimmer for a specific light?

Stevens R. Miller

I'm in a theater with an unknown number of dimmers and an ETC Element (250-channel model). By patching channel 200 to addresses 210 through 505, I can get a specific light to light up. What I want to do is figure out which address in particular controls that specific light. I could use a kind of "Newton's method" and split the range in half, 210-358 and try again. If the light comes on, its dimmer is in that range. If not, it's in the range of 358-505. I could keep splitting and retrying, until I narrowed it down to one address. After eight such iterations, I'll have my answer.

But... patching and unpatching the Element is kind of tedious. Not out of the question, but tedious.

Anyone got a faster way to match a light to its dimmer number using the Element?

(Oh, I did write a simple computer program that does this. It lights up the whole universe, then you just click "On" or "Off" as the computer splits the addresses, to indicate if the light is on or off as of the last split. In eight clicks, you have your answer. But I can't use it because the Element uses a CAT-5 cable to talk to the dimmer rack, and my program works with a USB-to-DMX512 adapter :( .)

Hey, ETCNomad does not call this a syntax error:

[Address] [1] [Thru] [100] [At] [5] {Check} [Enter]

Indeed, those addresses show up as all on at 50% in the lower half of the Park display. (Hmmm..., I could even use that to park them directly, couldn't I?)

If that works on the actual hardware, I can use my Newton's method approach and find my dimmer in nine commands.

Last edited:
If I am reading the Element book correctly, "{Check}" restricts the process to intensity parameters only. (Page 131 of the Ion manual, under "Address Check" suggests the Ion also uses {Check} to avoid non-intensity parameters.)

Yes, that sounds correct. I never bother as my address checks are never for other then dimmers, which is my 1st universe so I'm never getting that high.

That's probably the case for you as well, unless you have addresses for dimmers mixed in with movers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back