ETC Element limit access

RoryG6

We are looking to find a way to password protect our ETC Element lighting board as a way to limit unauthorised access. Is there a way to do this so that it will ask for a password on start up?

Would putting a key socket in to control the power to the board be an option? Providing that the board is fully powered down before cutting power?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Well, there are many options to lock down the area but no. Lot of people have been asking for it but it just never got done.

Lock the booth , get a case with a lock, take the power cord with you, set up an outlet with a switch under the booth to hot the outlet, put up signs, etc etc. Just depends on how much you don't want people touching it.

The booth is locked. we still however want to limit access further. Plus there is a sliding glass window that removes the security of the room as it has no lock on it!

I think the only thing that we can use to get round this is a key switch with the socket under the desk.

We really only want 4 people to to have access to the console. If anybody had any more alternatives that would be easier that would help a lot!

The booth is locked. we still however want to limit access further. Plus there is a sliding glass window that removes the security of the room as it has no lock on it!

I think the only thing that we can use to get round this is a key switch with the socket under the desk.

We really only want 4 people to to have access to the console. If anybody had any more alternatives that would be easier that would help a lot!
Many boards present the appearance of not needing the wall power when switched off but are actually depending upon the live receptacle and power cord to trickle charge an internal battery. I'm thinking of some of the older Strands here where if their aging batteries didn't see wall power over a two month summer vacation, they'd require a new battery installation before they'd come back to life. I'm not suggesting this is a problem with your board but only raising a flag about potential problems stemming from leaving them unpowered for extended periods of time.
Have you considered an unfriendly Doberman or Pit Bull?
(You did ask for easier alternatives. You made no mention of sensible.)
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

If people are going to the extent of breaking into the booth to play with the console then you have bigger issues. Ron is right though some consoles do rely on that power to feed the battery. Extended periods could over time ( years ) pose a problem.

Get a Flight case with a lock on it versus the key switch IMO.

What about a window locking mechanism? Lots of variations available, depending on the type of window you are using. (Unless it is considered egress of course).

If you could "lock" out the ability to actually control anything, would that be sufficient? I'm think of a way to disconnect the data line - dmx or net. If your are concerned about someone even touching the console, I'd lean toward a cover - like a plywood box or case (top) that could be locked down on the counter.

I'd want to be sure with a cover there was no way that it could get too warm under the cover - so maybe its a well vented plywood box.

Last edited:
The Element is based around a basic computer motherboard. I don't see 6 months off as an issue. Perhaps it would wear the on-board battery a bit more. Replacement every 5 years by an IT tech seems reasonable.

Securing the booth itself seems a much bigger issue!

There is a keyboard lock function. (shift+Esc) Random hooligans will not likely know the unlock sequence.

If you could "lock" out the ability to actually control anything, would that be sufficient? I'm think of a way to disconnect the data line - dmx or net. If your are concerned about someone even touching the console, I'd lean toward a cover - like a plywood box or case (top) that could be locked down on the counter.

I'd want to be sure with a cover there was no way that it could get too warm under the cover - so maybe its a well vented plywood box.
Concurring. Basically an economy version of a bonnet style touring case incorporating the following features / concerns.
You unlock a couple of padlock-able butterfly latches, one on each side, with keyed alike locks. I'm thinking Sessions hardware here where you could change to a new, differently keyed, matched pair with a simple trip to Home Depot at any time in the future should the need arise.
The board remains in the bottom of the case and is conveniently operable while in this position. You want the bottom as shallow as possible so your wrists aren't in conflict with the case bottom's front edge.
If you're not touring the board, you don't require anything designed and constructed for the rigors of touring.
Have the rear surface of the bonnet-style cover 'mouse-holed' such that all mating cables may remain connected minimizing any need to disconnect and re-connect / mis-connect any / all cables. Again, if you're not touring but remaining in position this shouldn't pose too much of a problem.
As Bill astutely points out: Ensure you're providing adequate ventilation so you're NOT cooking you're board to death in an 'E-Z Bake Oven'
Before you even begin designing your case, learn where your board breaths and ventilates. For instance, some depend upon air entering from underneath where less debris is likely to fall in and vent out through the sides or rear. Some boards are convection cooled while many use a small, whisper quiet, cooling fan. Some fans are drawing air out while others are drawing air in. Keep in mind there will be additional venting to be kept clear elsewhere as a fan can't push (or draw) air in if there's no place for the air to exit and likewise can't withdraw ventilating air out if there're no openings for air to enter.
BE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THE VENTILATION SCHEME and account for all aspects of it.
If you're absolutely certain all of your operators are enamored of the same position. Anchor the shallow case bottom portion solidly to your counter top.
Don't forget you may want a little upholstery / padding within the removable upper portion of the case to ensure your board won't be getting trashed by impatient operators carelessly tossing the cover on every time they race back to class (or McDonalds or ....)
First time you walk in the booth and find the board sitting there without its cover in place, check the security video and hang the slacker from the booth ceiling or 'spread-eagle' she / he (we must be uni-sexual and politically correct here) on a wall as hunters used to do proudly displaying their bear / deer / what-have-you across the hood of their vehicle. When selecting a hanging point, remember to keep it clear of the board to avoid any drippings while your case cover's off and the board's in operation. With either location you may want to consider your options as soon as the stench becomes too strong or the bugs too dense. The above treatment of the first offender ought to provide a pretty strong deterrent to others. Drawing and quartering are so passe / sixties.
Possibly you may have the skills and facilities within your school to design / fabricate a suitable enclosure but keep in mind it needs to be quick and simple to remove AND replace by one person or you'll rarely find it being used.
Never hesitate to post for further pointers.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Or buy a heavy plastic tote, poke some holes in it, put a couple holes in a counter, and wrap a chain and padlock around it. :)

Or buy a heavy plastic tote, poke some holes in it, put a couple holes in a counter, and wrap a chain and padlock around it. :)
That and a little food for the Doberman ought'a do it. If you over feed him he'll get too sedate.
Don't forget some water . . . for the Doberman, not the board.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Is over protection a problem?
When I see something locked up it makes me want to find out why it is locked up, and I become nosy.
A high school theatre I work at leaves our EOS Classic and LS9 control boards in the house unchained to anything, only with dust covers on them.
I have had to yell at high schoolers to stop playing with the rolling chairs but never the boards because we don't "advertise" how expensive or important they are.

We are looking to find a way to password protect our ETC Element lighting board as a way to limit unauthorised access. Is there a way to do this so that it will ask for a password on start up?

Would putting a key socket in to control the power to the board be an option? Providing that the board is fully powered down before cutting power?

Pressing the Shift and Escape keys locks/unlocks the console as BTW. Just don't tell anyone.

you could possibly just flip the power breaker off in the back. No body looks there :)

There is a keyboard lock function. (shift+Esc) Random hooligans will not likely know the unlock sequence.

Pressing the Shift and Escape keys locks/unlocks the console as BTW. Just don't tell anyone.

I never thought about this. This pretty much made my day.

I've always wanted to be able to lock out the console, but not power it off. Outside of the booth door, I've installed a contact closure pushbutton station that will turn the house lights on and off (the off button actually fires a macro that kills subs and sneaks channels to zero). But there are people that have booth access that don't need to be touching the console, or inevitably, the door gets propped open during the week for some reason. So I have people touching the console that shouldn't be.

The nice thing about the lockout is that it still enables the contact closure switch to operate.

At any rate, I'm wondering if I could build a macro that will automatically lock and unlock the console at certain times of the week...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back