Rose03

I noticed the other day that there was a second account called admin on my ion. The account has a password on it and etc would not tell me what it is. Does anyone know what it may be?

Is it possible to access it? I was told by etc it was "the no man's land" that would allow me to access the full os.

Sounds like a good reason to stay out.

What are you attempting to adjust/fix/change by gaining access to an area of the OS that ETC would prefer the customers not have access to ?

Sounds like a good reason to stay out.

What are you attempting to adjust/fix/change by gaining access to an area of the OS that ETC would prefer the customers not have access to ?
I was just curious, I din't plan on changing anything, just looking around. Sort of like climbing to the top of a tall mountain. No real point to it except you get to say you saw it.

It's not useful... however the login is something simple like admin---eos, or something like that.

It lets you access the windows OS powering Eos, and lets you run the console like a normal windows 7 computer.

I was just curious, I din't plan on changing anything, just looking around. Sort of like climbing to the top of a tall mountain. No real point to it except you get to say you saw it.
As others have said, this area is there for the extremely rare instances that ETC Technical Support needs to help walk you through some arcane maintenance task.
If you have ever used a normal Windows computer, you have already climbed an even taller, more complex, much more interesting mountain. The embedded version of Windows used on the consoles is a very stripped down version of what you’d see on your laptop. We have just taken the steps to fine tune the OS to ensure optimal console performance.

So, now for the strong warnings:
If you do happen to access this area and make any changes that negatively affects your console’s performance, those changes can’t be supported by Tech Services. This means that Tech Support will not be able to assist you with the negative impacts until your console is restored to the factory state.
If you make changes that happen to work now but don’t work after a future update, again ETC cannot support or maintain those unsupported changes.

It’s a lot like jailbreaking your iPhone, if something goes wrong, you are on your own. And like Apple, ETC’s advice is: “Don’t do it!”

It may be like jailbreaking your phone in that ETC won't offer support. But you won't brick your console just by playing around in windows embedded. Worst case scenario you have to load a clean version of the OS back onto the console.

It may be like jailbreaking your phone in that ETC won't offer support. But you won't brick your console just by playing around in windows embedded. Worst case scenario you have to load a clean version of the OS back onto the console.

If you find yourself needing ETC help to re-load the OS, it’s beceause you mucked around in the shell and bricked the console.

If you find yourself needing ETC help to re-load the OS, it’s beceause you mucked around in the shell and bricked the console.

Bricking a device means doing something that renders it unrecoverable. Making it as useful as a brick. Doing actual damage that requires changing out hardware to get the device running again. This happens on hardware when your trying to update its firmware. That's not something that you just do accidentally. If your just playing around with settings or deleting files in the OS your not going to damage the hardware. Worst case scenario and you do something you shouldn't have all that will happen is you'll lose anything you haven't backed up. Reload the OS and you'll be good as new.

I'm not suggesting that people should go in there and mess with things. And for sure it's not something you should be doing during a show run. Just pointing out that the world isn't going to come to and end if you do.

As a purely semantic argument, some definitions define hardware damage. Others, such as WiKi " severe physical damage, a serious misconfiguration, corrupted firmware, or a hardware problem". Thus messing with the primary OS in such a way as to render the desk inoperable, can be considered as turning it into a brick. Just sayin'.

I've actually had to re-image a console for a local theatre after someone decided to try and install drivers for an unsupported device. Console started BSOD'ing immediately.

I'd consider a device "bricked" if it requires a trip to the Factory or to a service provider.

If your just playing around with settings or deleting files in the OS your not going to damage the hardware. Worst case scenario and you do something you shouldn't have all that will happen is you'll lose anything you haven't backed up. Reload the OS and you'll be good as new.

Just want to clarify that if you should "brick" or make your console's OS stop working properly (whichever you choose to call it), ETC will NOT send you the OS to re-install. You will have to take the console to a certified ETC rep or send it back to the factory to have it restored. A saying I heard as a child..."Curiosity killed the cat!" - so in this circumstance...DO NOT touch your OS. It works just fine as it is. If you really want to play around with Windows on an Ion/Eos system...do it to your own home computer with Nomad installed.

I have an original Element that hasn't been updated in years, and if you mashed shift on the external keyboard, it would throw up the sticky keys window, allowing you into the windows OS behind it. You should have seen the confused looks on some of the new light tech's faces when the console blasted out a Windows 7 message!

And I'd agree. Don't mess with it unless you have to.

Just want to clarify that if you should "brick" or make your console's OS stop working properly (whichever you choose to call it), ETC will NOT send you the OS to re-install. You will have to take the console to a certified ETC rep or send it back to the factory to have it restored. A saying I heard as a child..."Curiosity killed the cat!" - so in this circumstance...DO NOT touch your OS. It works just fine as it is. If you really want to play around with Windows on an Ion/Eos system...do it to your own home computer with Nomad installed.

That's unacceptable IMO. That software should be available on their website to download by anyone who needs it. What are you supposed to do if your hard drive craps out? Most of us don't have backup consoles just waiting to go. I would need to swap hard drives and get the OS onto the new drive ASAP. Very few people can afford to lose their console for a week or more, especially for something as simple as that.

That's unacceptable IMO. That software should be available on their website to download by anyone who needs it. What are you supposed to do if your hard drive craps out? Most of us don't have backup consoles just waiting to go. I would need to swap hard drives and get the OS onto the new drive ASAP. Very few people can afford to lose their console for a week or more, especially for something as simple as that.

Curious as to what other manufacturers have the desk OS available on the website as a download ?

The company has the right to retain control over who has access and how the end user uses the software, to a certain extent. Nobody doubts that should your HD fail that ETC tech support is going all out to get your console up and running ASAP, that’s been documented over the years by the countless thank-you’s I’ve read from folks in that situation. If you bricked the OS on your Honda Civic, are you able to go to the Honda website and download a clean OS for user install ?. I don’t think so, that’s going to be a huge bill from the dealer.

A user accessing the Admin level of OS when ETC specifically doesn’t release that password, is asking for trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back