Noah Abrams

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on here and hope I can get some good feedback. I have recently purchased an ETC Gadget 2 DMX to USB interface. I love being able to have the functionality of an ion with a fraction of the price tag. Is there any affordable ways to connect an external keyboard and program it to work as ion keys?

I am a high school senior and have been Lighting Designer And TD/ME on multiple productions but have been used to using an element not the new ion console.

I have absolutely fallen in love with the new functionality of the Gadget and Eos Nomad software.

Bunch of X-Keys products. The 58 key model does a decent job of replicating the legacy Ion facepanels, just no encoders. The ETC site has files to load to the device to get it up and running.

http://xkeys.com/xkeys.php

Check the ETC users forum, do a search, as well as on the Eos Facebook group.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Thank you Steve! I was a little familiar with the X-KEYS when I purchased the gadget. However I had heard there was cheaper alternatives lol. Hopefully those are still available

a bunch of us got cherry POS keyboards. While they are no x keys they were only $30usd but I think they are all sold now. I managed to pick up 4 of them (for my friends and myself) when my wife was in NYC and she bought them home for me to Australia so we saved on postage.
They work pretty well but there are some functions you cant program on them where as with the X keys you can.
Regards
Geoff

I would spend a little time just using a standard computer keyboard

If you are a touch typist you may find that it is faster than learning a new key layout. At least that’s what I have found.

It's totally possible to get fluent on programming eos from a standard Qwerty. I have one space with Nomad and no keypad. I hated it the first day. But by now I can touch-type program any Eos faster from the Qwerty than from the ten thousand dollar keyboard they want to sell you.

I put nomad on a used HP all in one touchscreen with a second non touch screen to the right. Have not used it extensively, but the virtual keyboard now becomes a real keyboard, and the sliders work just dandy. An enterprising sort might even make a horizontal deskbox mount for just such a setup. Computer on ebay was in the less than 300 buck range.

a bunch of us got cherry POS keyboards. While they are no x keys they were only $30usd but I think they are all sold now. I managed to pick up 4 of them (for my friends and myself) when my wife was in NYC and she bought them home for me to Australia so we saved on postage.
They work pretty well but there are some functions you cant program on them where as with the X keys you can.
Regards
Geoff
I missed the $30 ones but picked one up for $100 a few years back. Worth every penny!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back