ETC Eos - What is an "output"?

I'm looking at buying an ETC Ion XE 20; I see options are for 2048 outputs or 12288; both allowing 32,768 Channels.
I'm confused by the term "outputs"; is this DMX Addresses? If so, how does it make sense that there would be less addresses than channels?

I'm used to the logic that a board channel is a device- either a standard dimmer which lives at a single address or a complex device which lives across a range of addresses (intensity/color/beam/etc.)
Ie. I might need 100 channels to control my 100 devices, but if that's 99 dimmers and 1 fixture with a 12-channel profile I need 111 addresses.

Is the current jargon such that in my above example I need 100 outputs with 111 channels?

Thanks for any answers!

What the console software can control is different than what the console hardware can process signal for.
Outputs are single 8 bit parameter packets (DMX channel is an example of an 8 bit packet). Whether it is DMX or sACN or ArtNet or ???
You can spread the number of outputs across more universes. So, 2048 outputs can be used as 256 discreet outputs on 8 universes as an example.
You can upgrade the outputs later, but I highly recommend that you spend the money now and max the console. A large LED set piece can use up an enormous number of outputs in a hurry.
Take care,
John

The channel range is just a weird thing to sell/advertise, I think it's a marketing thing. It basically just means that you can patch any of your 2048 or 12288 addresses to channels in the range of 1-32768. If you want to patch a channel to (32769) you'll need to find a different console.

You have a huge number of channels as you want to retain compatibility with larger consoles with a cue structure using a lot of channels. In other words you don't want to import a show file written on a full blown Eos and be not be able to use every channel that the original show file was written for. Broadway shows do this a lot as BTW, they write the show on an Eos, then return it to the shop and swap for an Ion as it's cheaper to rent long term and there's no need for the feature set of the Eos when all they are doing is pressing Go.

Outputs being DMX addresses, gets limited by the pricing structure of the console - I.E. you pay more for a console with more address outputs.

I'm looking at buying an ETC Ion XE 20; I see options are for 2048 outputs or 12288;
I'd be very curious as to the price difference, all other things being equal. Goldilocks' syndrome: 2048 is too few; 12,288 is too many (is there such a thing as too many?) Since I'm old, I still think of these as 4- and 24-universe consoles. It seems to me something in between--a 12 or 16 (x512) output desk would make sense. Although it would (probably) cannibalize sales of the 12,288 and lessen profits.

To answer more simply: yes, in this case "output" = DMX address. To control 99 dimmers you need 100 outputs. To control a 12 parameter device you need 12 outputs.

Why more channels than outputs? There are complex reasons (some mentioned above) but for a simplistic example: I might have 5 front lights on ch 1-5, and then for convenience want my 5 back lights on 11-15, skipping some channels in between. So I'm only using 99 outputs, (and really only 99 channels) but using channel numbers higher than 99.

I'd be very curious as to the price difference, all other things being equal. Goldilocks' syndrome: 2048 is too few; 12,288 is too many (is there such a thing as too many?) Since I'm old, I still think of these as 4- and 24-universe consoles. It seems to me something in between--a 12 or 16 (x512) output desk would make sense. Although it would (probably) cannibalize sales of the 12,288 and lessen profits.
This was a thing for quite a while with eos, but they moved to entry level or fully unlocked for their consoles a few years back. I think it makes things simpler, its a buy once cry once cost when you exceed the starter model, you're not trying to keep track of how many upgrades a specific console has received, and there's quite a lot of show you can fit into 2048 outputs, unless you start using pixel tape

This comes directly from ETC's support site.

Addresses and Parameters in Eos Family Consoles

When you open About with an empty command line in version 2.7 software (or higher), you may notice several different items being counted:

• System Count
  • Defined Parameters
  • Patched Addresses
  • Unpatched Defined Parameters
  • Patched Channels
  • Allowed Output Addresses
about.png

System Count​

System Count is the maximum number of addresses you can output. These addresses can be in any universe within your Allowed Output Addresses (defined below). In a multi-console system, the System Count is determined between the Primary and Backup console. Whichever console has the LOWER output count will define the System Count for your multi-console system. For example: If you are using an Ion Xe with a System Count of 1024 addresses as Primary and an ETCnomad Puck with a System Count of 512 as Backup, the System Count for your multi-console system will be 512 addresses. That way, if your Primary goes down for some reason, you will not lose the ability to output to the second half of your system.

Defined Parameters​

The defined parameters field references the number of parameters that have been defined in patch. This includes parameters that have been patched to output addresses and those that have not. If a change in Patch will exceed the allowed number of parameters, an error is displayed like "Address Limit Exceeded, Unpatch unused channels to make room"

Addresses​

Patched addresses only calculates the number of addresses that have been used in patch (which counts toward available outputs).

Unpatched Defined Parameters​

The unpatched defined parameters field is useful because even unpatched, but defined, parameters must be displayed and calculated in the fade engine. If you are running a large show, it is helpful to delete defined, but unpatched channels.

Patched Channels (Eos Family except Element Classic)​

This line reflects the defined channels that have addresses patched to them. If you have 5000 channels defined in patch, but only 12 of those channels have assigned addresses, the line would read "12 of 5000".
Defined channels are channels that exist in patch, regardless of whether or not they have actively patched addresses. By default, channels 1 to 5000 exist in patch as “empty” channels. If you delete a channel, it is no longer defined.
That being said, the console supports up to 32,768 total channels. You can specify the highest channel number to use in the show file in Setup>System Settings>System>Num of Channels. You can adjust this number (maximum is 99,999) and then use any 32,768 channels between 1 and that number.
The patched channels line in About may not necessarily reflect the Number of Channels set in System Settings. See the following example for reference:
  • Num of channels is set to 12,000
  • Defined channels in patch are 1 through 2,000
  • Channels with actively patched addresses are 1 through 100
  • Patched channels line would read "100 of 2000"

Channels (Element Classic)

The console supports up to 250 or 500 channels, depending on the allowed channel count. You can specify the highest channel number to use in the show file in Setup -> Show Settings. You can increase this setting to 99,999 channels (setting the highest channel number) and then use 250 or 500 of those channels.
About will show the current number of channels patched compared to the number of channels that currently exist in Patch. By default, channels 1 to 250 or 500 exist in patch as “empty” channels. You can delete unused, empty channels to free up channel numbers for use elsewhere in your patch.

Allowed Output Addresses​

Allowed Output Addresses is a range or ranges of addresses that can be assigned to limit the number of output addresses. Allowed Output Addresses is a setting in the ECU. Go to Settings>Network>Output Protocols>Allowed Output Addresses to make changes if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back