ETC Express Freezing/Losing DMX

There have been a few times lately that the ETC Express 24/48 would randomly (and i really mean randomly) just freeze itself up and not be able to go into any menus, run cues or do anything. When this happens it loses DMX completely and I have to shut it off and turn it back on. Has this happened to anyone else? Or does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks
Nick D.

Welcome to CB Nick. I am moving your thread to the Lighting Forum for better visibility. Not all members regularly read the New Member Board. There are a lot of great people around that I am sure will be able to help you.

Welcome to CB. Enjoy!

~Dave

Very strange, usually the Express line is stable. Two thoughts:

Software Issue: Back your show up to a floppy disk. Turn off console. Hold down 7, 8 and 9 key. Turn console on. The console will restore all its settings to defaults and clear its memory (which is why you backed up your show first).
Presumably your using the 3.1 software?

Hardware Issue: This happened to me once, and was a very strange problem. The console had been moved into the house and apparently got jossled. On start up the sub sliders did not work, but the bump buttons worked. The entire console lagged and was generally unstable. I opened the console up and disconnected and reconnected the ribbon cables to the submaster board. Put it back together and started the console up, and everything worked again. So: Is it possible that there is a lose connection inside the console that is causing the instability?

Regardless, go with the software solution first, that will hopefully fix the problem.

There are only three basic things that can go wrong with an Express console; the show file can be corrupted, the operating system can be corrupted, or the hardware can be damaged. You should only attempt to fix the first two on your own, anything involving hardware problems should be handled by ETC Support. The fix for a corrupted show file is to print out your patch and cues and rebuild the file from scratch or (hopefully) find an older uncorrupted version of your show and work from that. Fixing a bad operating system is more complicated but less work, you need to reflash the software to the console. To do that you first need to go to ETC's web site and download the last version of the Express operating software. Next you need a computer with a floppy drive to create the disks you need to reflash the console. Once you have the disks, you need to go to the console and look up in the manual how to "update the console" (I think you just put the disk in and turn the console on but I don't remember). Once you follow the last steps in the manual you will have a fresh copy of the operating software on your console and can now reload your rebuilt show file. If these steps do not fix your problem you will most likely need to call ETC Support and have a technician come out and look at it.

I hope this helps

Dover

Interesting that this thread should come up, as I just had an Express freeze up as described in the first post two days ago. It is the first glitch we have ever had with the console in the nine years that we have had it.

The only time i had an Express do something like that, it didnt freeze up, but i did loose all of my LED lights on all the buttons (subs, GO, HOLD, STAGE, etc.) and i had to turn it off and back on again. This ocurred because when i, would do a dimmer check i would cycle though the dimmers at a quick speed causing it to slow down then finally stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back