The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

ETC Express LCD compatibility

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by robnguyen, Dec 6, 2005.

1. robnguyen

robnguyen Member

I am attempting to help my school price out costs for an ETC Express 48/96 control board.

I noticed on the board's infosheet that it has what looks like an older VGA pin connector for the display.

Is this compatible with an LCD monitor, or is any sort of adapter hardware needed?

(I noticed that most LCDs seem to use a DVI digital connector)

2. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

I belive most LCD monitors still have this kind of input. It is the standard type of output for computers to have to this day, and most laptops and projectors also have this kind of output, so you really shouldnt have a problem finding an LCD with this kind of input. I had this board in my HS and the output on it was exactly like the video output on my laptop and any other computer, and we used a standard computer monitor w/ it, and as far as i know, most LCDs still support this format. Hope this helps

3. fosstech

fosstech Active Member

Yes, an LCD with a regular VGA 15-pin conector will work fine. We have a Viewsonic 17" LCD on our Express 48/96, and it works fantastically.

4. bdesmond

bdesmond Active Member

If you happen to get an LCD that's only available with a DVI connector (usually I've noticed they coem with both cables), the adapters are available for 5 to 10 bucks.

5. Lightingguy32

Lightingguy32 Active Member

Yes the board works fine with an LCD monitor, a 17" is more then enough. Dell LCD monitors are the one brand I know have both VGA and DVI inputs and come with both cable types.

6. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

I don't think I have seen any lighting console with a DVI connector on it yet, not saying they don't exist, but....

7. Sean

Sean Active Member

Eos.

--Sean

8. jmabray

jmabray Active Member

Ion, as well, uses DVI monitors. Actually, to really get the most out of the desk you should only use DVI monitors. Although there is one VGA output port on the desk.

The Express uses a VGA port to output video. Any monitor with a VGA port will work.

As for the DVI/VGA adapter issue, it won't always work.

For instance, on the ION, the video cards only put out a DVI signal. So if you try and hook up a VGA monitor to the DVI output through the adapter, you will get nothing. On the EOS however, the DVI outputs spit out both DVI and VGA, so if you use an adapter, you are okey dokey. I don't know of monitors that accept VGA signals through their DVI input (They usually have the separate inputs.) - That doesn't mean they don't exist, i just haven't seen them.

9. TimMiller

TimMiller Well-Known Member

FYI, the hog line of consoles all use VGA.

10. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

In other console display news, HES has just announced an external VGA monitor is available, via a USB-VGA adapter, for the Road Hog.

Although the trend is toward DVI, VGA will be with us for a long time forward, unlike the CGA monitors of the "classic" ETC boards.

11. SerraAva

SerraAva Active Member

The Hog line doesn't use just VGA. The IPC uses DVI, and comes with an adapter for it. It is dual link, so that means to separate monitors for one output. The adapter splits out into two VGAs.

12. Thomas

Thomas Member

Real men connect their desks to Projectors. VGA is VGA is VGA is VGA. Plus it's unlikely that the desk will put out higher then 640x480, so any run of the mill LCD will do the trick. AND look cool.

13. Hughesie

Hughesie Well-Known Member

Freelance Lighting Programmer/grandMA Trainer
    Most Men don't have the cash to support projector costs and why do you need to see that data in a cinema style setting:rolleyes: