ETC Express - Odd ML cue behavior

K9Mike

Hi
We have an Express 250 for our middle school theater which has been a great match for our rig (dozens of conventionals and 2 movers - Elation Design Spot 300 Pros). I created profiles for the Design spot 300s (DS300) which work well. However, the behavior of one set of simple cues which includes one of the DS300s has me baffled. The desired effect is *very* simple.. Position the DS300 in the dark, fade up to full, and then fade it out. There is no movement during the cues after the first mark cue. Each of the 3 cues had 0, 5, and 2 second fade up/down time respectively, and all were manually triggered with Go button. First cue positioned the DS300 into place and sets the iris, focus, etc. Second cue has the intensity at 100%, and third cue has intensity at 0. Also in the cue were most of the conventionals with some of their levels changing between cues.

The issue was that during the fade up and subsequent fade down of the DS300, it would move slightly. Watching the 4 x/y channels (16-bit) of the DS300 on the display, the Fine X and Y channels would continuously scroll through 0-100, then wrap to 0, scroll to 100 again, repeatedly, like it was cross fading to a new position, yet the Course X and Y position channels were not changing. At the end of the x-fade time, the fine values would stop on their original (correct) values. Viewing the cues in the Spreadsheet display, the X & X-fine, and Y & Y-fine values are identical in all 3 cues. I cannot figure out why just the Fine X and Y channels are changing during the cues.

Fortunately, the behavior is replicated in the Express/Expression offline editor so I was able to take the problem home and experiment. I found that deleting the first and third cues, and recreating them by copying the second cue stopped the Fine channels from changing during x-fading between cues. This worked for a while until I modified some other channels of the cues (not moving light position channels), and suddenly the Fine channels of the DS300 began 'cross fading' again causing the spot on stage to 'twitch' during fade up and fade out.

Really puzzled at this behavior. Any insight or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back