ETC Express to PC: real-time transfer of go button (and cue number, cue timings)?

MichaelH

Ulimately, my aim is to automate the generation of paperwork that lists cue numbers and their clock time (which I can then convert to elapsed time). So I am looking for the simplest way to get real-time output of the GO button from the ETC console to a PC.

The ETC Express has a myriad of outputs, so I'm not sure which one can provide this information, and if several can, which is easiest and cheapest. (via DMX-USB, MIDI-USB, ethernet, etc).

Does the board already send this informaion out over one of its outputs? Or would it require additional configuration or programming of the console?

It would be a bonus if the cue number and cue timings were also output, but I know this information can be gathered later using the offline editor and then combined.

DMX does not trasmit any other values then what is happening on the line. Cue numbers and all that fun stuff are not trasmitted. I'm not sure if the MSC implementation on that console trasmits cue numbers.

Now, there are a few ways to do this. There is a contact closure output on that console that can be accessed via a macro. That could be linked to every cue and you would essentially have an on/off switch hit every time the go button is hit. That could then be hooked up to whatever gear you want to record. There is also an internal way of recording this info. Turn on the timecode and tell it to "learn". It will give you a time stamp every time any submaster bump or go button is pressed.

Thanks, Footer.

I'm looking at http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/datashts/Express_24_48_vD.pdf and don't see an explicitly labelled contact closure output - is it the Remote Macro port?

I will look into the timestamp & recording function... thanks for pointing me to it. Any idea if it can be saved to floppy & then read by the offline editor?

Would ETC documentation list what their implementation of MSC transmits?

@martinty: Thanks, but I suspect that all of the info that can be printed can be saved to floppy. My goal is to automate the data collection, so I want to avoid adding steps like printing and then re-typing.

Last edited:
Can you clarify what kinds of data you want to be collected? I would imagine that the LD would provide cue numbers, cue run times, and location on timecode/in the score when the console is programed, possibly in the designer information packet. I suppose that having a timeline of when bumps were fired in a sequence might be useful, but I feel like it would be more useful to have them recorded to where in the 8 you fire them, not what time... I might just not understand this, but timecode might be what your looking for if you need to figure out on which beat you fire on...

Ulimately, my aim is to automate the generation of paperwork that lists cue numbers and their clock time (which I can then convert to elapsed time).

Perhaps some clarity in what your are attempting, as from what I'm reading, it sounds like you want a print-out of the cue sheets ?.

What do you mean by "aim to automate the generation of paperwork" ?.

FWIW, by using the Expression Off-Line Editor, you can import the show file and print out the channel levels, cue by cue, as well as print the actual cue stack sheet. If what is on the floppy was what was just saved, then it's as real as what's in the console

More info needed as to desired goal.

Sorry about the lack of specifics...

I've been stage managing dance lately. I mention this only because I'm find the tech process more compressed and because of our use of video for learning and archiving (and remounting) the shows.

A number of the shows I've been working on will change quite a bit after the last few rehearsals, when a video of a run will be taken and the LD will provide corresponding paperwork.
But then a week or more later, when the show has settled, in order to create a complete archive, I shoot another archival video & update my paperwork with my stopwatch times of the cues.
It would be more accurate & save time if I could get the clock time dumped into a spreadsheet each time the GO button was pressed. I can then easily convert the clock time to elapsed time. I imagine this would save time for the LDs that I work with, too, for their final paperwork.

Even just a list of clock times would be helpful since I can correlate them to a list of the cue names. But if the board would output the cue names as well, that would be great. Cue names plus fade up/down times would be superb.

(Whereas DMX output is communicating only channel number & level information, the ideal would be something that might communicate 'notes' - cue name, fade times, and optionally the current clock time. It sounds like these bits of information are available only from the show disk.)

Regarding wondering what's saved on the floppy, it was in reference to the timecode that Footer suggested: “There is also an internal way of recording this info. Turn on the timecode and tell it to ‘learn’. It will give you a time stamp every time any submaster bump or go button is pressed.”
But I have not found this feature in the manual for the Express (http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/manuals/Express_Two-scene_Preset_v3.1_User_Manual.pdf)

Regarding wondering what's saved on the floppy, it was in reference to the timecode that Footer suggested: “There is also an internal way of recording this info. Turn on the timecode and tell it to ‘learn’. It will give you a time stamp every time any submaster bump or go button is pressed.”
But I have not found this feature in the manual for the Express (http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/manuals/Express_Two-scene_Preset_v3.1_User_Manual.pdf)

Page 292. Go nuts.

Also, the contact closure is on page 325.

However, this is WAY to much work to do what you are doing. Its re-inventing the wheel. Get a stopwatch with lap times or a app that does that.

Page 292. Go nuts.

Also, the contact closure is on page 325.

However, this is WAY to much work to do what you are doing. Its re-inventing the wheel. Get a stopwatch with lap times or a app that does that.

Or pull timecode from the music and coordinate cues, might actually make the process of calling the show easier.

Hi guys,

I tried to Print sample cues to test the OLE's ability to print; Here is what I got:

Compare the Printed cue sheets to the actual Stage Display captures.....

Running Windows 64-bit(Work Computer) - Printer is an Epson stylus Photo RX595

I am running the lastest version of the OLE too....

Thanks!
-Lightingguy1

Expression 3 (Q1Printout)001.jpgExpression 3 OLE issue cue 1(Actuall).JPGExpression 3 (Q2Printout)002.jpgExpression 3 OFE issue cue2 (Actuall).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back