ETC Express touch pad

Call ETC... they might have the part. FWIW, the touchpad on the express was pretty much useless and was a pretty terrible moving light interface. What moving fixtures do you have? There are several software based free and cheap consoles that might be a better way to go.

3rded on it being extremely painful to program movers on an Express, and the trackpad doesn't help much. ETC can probably still repair it for you, but that involves shipping it to them and will almost certainly cost more than the student/educator version of Nomad. It's held in place with adhesive, so replacing the trackpad takes some finesse. I wouldn't necessarily recommend trying it yourself unless you're not overly concerned about the outcome...

Also, movers eat up a lot of addresses, so that may be another thing that prevents you from using the Express if you have more than a couple.

Does anyone have a way to replace or repair the touchpad on a 72/144 ETC express. It is needed to work with moving fixtures. FYI we are a nonprofit and cannot afford a newer console.

Sorry for the harsh comment but... This statement says that your nonprofit company is being managed/budgeted poorly, that's why you cannot afford a newer console. That's not a dig towards you at all, please know I hope for a better future for you. I have built a career around non profit / educational theater with budgets that appropriately allow them to do the work they are capable of. It may not be your hill to die on, but don't let their poor management be an excuse against accomplishing your art.

Sorry for the harsh comment but... This statement says that your nonprofit company is being managed/budgeted poorly, that's why you cannot afford a newer console. That's not a dig towards you at all, please know I hope for a better future for you. I have built a career around non profit / educational theater with budgets that appropriately allow them to do the work they are capable of. It may not be your hill to die on, but don't let their poor management be an excuse against accomplishing your art.
I work for a not for profit company. For me this means that there are no share holders and no dividend payments or bonuses paid.
My CEO says we are not for profit, we are not for loss, we are for purpose.
Do we make a profit? Yes most years. but all the profit goes back in to the business. be it in training for staff, facility upgrades or implementing new tech the profit stays inhouse. I also volunteer for a community based theatre company who's only income is from ticket sales. We also use any profit from that for PD for the cast (JR company) in the form of workshops or sponsorship to events like the Junior Theatre Celebration.
2 ways of looking at it but as MRW says a well thought out budget and planning for the future goes a long way- Still does not solve your problem. I suggest find a student or educator to join your team and get them to buy the nomad system. You will not be sorry with that as a start.
Regards
Geoff

I suggest find a student or educator to join your team and get them to buy the nomad system. Y
I'm going to go ahead and warn against this. The ETC Nomad EDU package is for a student or faculty in an educational setting. You can totally buy a Nomad at regular price, but DO NOT let anyone use you to buy an EDU Nomad package. ETC lets you buy only one in your lifetime. Doesn't matter if you bought one as an undergrad, and then want to buy another as a grad student. You get one, period. If a non-profit wants to get a Nomad, they can buy it at regular price. Also, ETC vets every application for an EDU package. Because it's a heavily subsidized program, they are very careful to make sure that people don't abuse it. (dealers can't stock it, they have to get it direct from ETC, every time) I hear sob stories every year of someone who bought one for the theatre they were at, but now they want one for themselves or are at another venue. Too bad, so sad. You get one at the subsidized price, period, the end.

Also, as another side note, the EDU package currently does NOT contain the Gadget II, right now the ETA for the Gadget II isn't until Sept 2022, and that's still a rough estimate. I recommend waiting till the regular Gadget II is back to being a part of the EDU package before pursuing it.

I'm going to go ahead and warn against this. The ETC Nomad EDU package is for a student or faculty in an educational setting. You can totally buy a Nomad at regular price, but DO NOT let anyone use you to buy an EDU Nomad package. ETC lets you buy only one in your lifetime. Doesn't matter if you bought one as an undergrad, and then want to buy another as a grad student. You get one, period. If a non-profit wants to get a Nomad, they can buy it at regular price. Also, ETC vets every application for an EDU package. Because it's a heavily subsidized program, they are very careful to make sure that people don't abuse it. (dealers can't stock it, they have to get it direct from ETC, every time) I hear sob stories every year of someone who bought one for the theatre they were at, but now they want one for themselves or are at another venue. Too bad, so sad. You get one at the subsidized price, period, the end.

Also, as another side note, the EDU package currently does NOT contain the Gadget II, right now the ETA for the Gadget II isn't until Sept 2022, and that's still a rough estimate. I recommend waiting till the regular Gadget II is back to being a part of the EDU package before pursuing it.
Fair call.

Just to clarify, was your trackpad working with your fixtures and current profile or are the automated fixtures just something you've added for this show? If it's the former I'd suggest either sending to ETC for a repair if it's the latter, review the fixture personality to make sure the Pan/Tilt are mapped to the TX/TY correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back