ETC Ion & Chauvet DMX-AN2

I am a bit ignorant when it comes to more than 2 universes, as I have never had to worry about it.

But now I want to be ready for it, in case I should need it. I know expensive gateways and nodes will get me there, but I am wondering if the Chauvet DMX-AN2 will work to get me a couple of additional universes?

Last edited:
Really any sACN node will work, just no USB>DMX devices except for the Gadget I and II from ETC

The Net2 nodes are mostly a legacy product now. I believe there's a way to upgrade them via Concert (ETC's configuration software) but not sure what the limitations due to hardware, etc. might be.

The Chauvet AN2 should be 'discoverable' as a networked device, and configurable to output the universes you want, so long as your console is configured to output sACN or ArtNet.

Good call on the Chauvet AN2. It's the least expensive branded networked DMX node!

I got to use one of these recently and it worked great as an Art-Net node. It was immediately discovered by Luminair, which was our "console" control app from an iPad.

I first tried using the node in sACN mode, but the Luminair app didn't work in this mode. I suspect this was just our app. Otherwise, most people prefer the sACN protocol over Art-Net because it doesn't default to broadcasting like Art-Net does. When Art-Net broadcasts, it can sometimes bog down networks and make it tough for other protocols and applications to coexist.

Way to go on Stagemanager01 for taking initiative to learn a new skill with networked DMX!

Good call on the Chauvet AN2. It's the least expensive branded networked DMX node!

I got to use one of these recently and it worked great as an Art-Net node. It was immediately discovered by Luminair, which was our "console" control app from an iPad.

I first tried using the node in sACN mode, but the Luminair app didn't work in this mode. I suspect this was just our app. Otherwise, most people prefer the sACN protocol over Art-Net because it doesn't default to broadcasting like Art-Net does. When Art-Net broadcasts, it can sometimes bog down networks and make it tough for other protocols and applications to coexist.

Way to go on Stagemanager01 for taking initiative to learn a new skill with networked DMX!
sACN totally defaults to broadcast in a simple networked environment, multicast is reliant on properly configured manged switches with a designated querier to function--but the good news is that unless you have a rig big enough that luminair isn't an appropriate choice, broadcast won't be an issue.

How did you manage to configure it? When I try to connect a dmx light to the port, I get no signal. The small led next to the ports don't light up, I already changed the settings on the web browser and set them to output.

How did you manage to configure it? When I try to connect a dmx light to the port, I get no signal. The small led next to the ports don't light up, I already changed the settings on the web browser and set them to output.
Your console may not be outputting the right type of signal. Assuming it is the Ion, you may need to change the protocol output in the patch menu. You may also need to go a little deeper into the settings and enable output on that protocol. I have run into that after the more recent updates...

Your console may not be outputting the right type of signal. Assuming it is the Ion, you may need to change the protocol output in the patch menu. You may also need to go a little deeper into the settings and enable output on that protocol. I have run into that after the more recent updates...
I have it connected via router to the Luminair App, I have the protocol set as ArtNet, I can see the node with no problem but the DMX signal don't go through. The small LED next to the DMX port won't turn on, both port are set as Output.

I'm not familiar with either product - I only asked because often these connectivity problems are because of an addressing problem.

Is the node configured correctly? Remember for art-net universe 1 is actually 0. While I am not familiar with either of the products if luminar "see" the node that means addressing is most likely correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back