Control/Dimming ETC Ion- External Monitors

I've had a lot of success with something like this from IOgear, which is essentially another graphics card that works via USB. If you've got an open USB port on your Ion, then this can expand your number of outputs probably up to 4 if you really wanted (but I haven't done that).

I've had a lot of success with something like this from IOgear, which is essentially another graphics card that works via USB. If you've got an open USB port on your Ion, then this can expand your number of outputs probably up to 4 if you really wanted (but I haven't done that).

Does this require drivers to be installed? If so it most likely won't work.

There is another solution.
Big monitors, now that high resolution is common and inexpensive, can be split up. With the relatively new dividable workspaces and zooming, you can get the equivalent of several monitors on one screen. Setting up the primary monitor in portrait would prevent the CIA from eating up too much area.

So you have successfully used this to add more outputting monitors? Extended views not simply a duplicate of the primary?

So you have successfully used this to add more outputting monitors? Extended views not simply a duplicate of the primary?
Yep a new/extended view, no duplication -- I installed some basic drivers (included with the device) in the shell and it worked extremely well. It's been stable for years. This is running an old Elo touchscreen with a Serial --> USB adapter in use for the touch capacity for which additional drivers were also installed.

It should be noted that adding third party drivers limits our ability to provide support, as this is an untested configuration. ETC cannot recommend installing any additional drivers as it has the possibility of affecting system stability or performance. If issues occur, we may first ask that the driver is removed (restoring the console to its original state) before troubleshooting further.

Echoing Hans's thoughts;

I hope that you, being "azylka" are either the owner of the console, or the head of the lighting at that facility, or had permission from same, so as to feel free to add non-supported software to a multi-thousand dollar control unit that as one of it's purposes, is to run reliably and at near 100% while being operated for an event that has many thousand patrons watching.

I for one and despite being in agreement that the Ion needs a 3rd monitor, would never do a modification as you have described, nor would I recommend it to anyone else.

I like it when my ETC gear runs flawlessly and think it's irresponsible to do this kind of modification and to recommend it in a public forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back