ETC ION, Opinions?

Got the demo today, was pretty compact but for the list price you can not beat it. I was a little taken back that its closer to an obsession than the expression. Like any board in the upper tier of consoles it will do anything you want it to. The work around for not having a release button is pretty simple but if your JUST doing conventionals the expression still might be better for inexperienced users.

I honestly like the obsession better than the expression, and I've never really liked the release button. I just do [channels] [out]. As someone once said, and I agree with this, "the obsession thinks more like I do". I really like the ION (other than the lack of display buttons!) just from using the OLE, and I really hope to get my hands on one soon.

If only other manufacturers could see the benefits of joining Control Booth and supporting their products... (kelite excepted, of course.)
I'm still trying to find a time to have Randy Pybas demo the Eos and Ion in Las Vegas, but I'm looking forward to it.
Once again, welcome, and don't be a stranger. See this thread.
Derek

I follow the ETC users forum, especially the Eos/Ion section, where I actually learn quite a bit about the console, without actually seeing one !.

Ya' all need to head on over there on occasion, as it truly is a remarkable development to have a manufacturer (so rare in my 32 years in the business) and all the assorted folks involved in development, ACTUALLY LISTENING TO THE CLIENTS, as the product is developing.

I cannot say enough about what a remarkable job all the ETC folks have done to make the users feel like we are getting a product that works for us. There is a good presence on The LightNetwork from Martin, High End and Jands, but the ETC forum is in a different category and is not just a ***** session, but also a learning experience for the users and developers. I'm sure Ann and Dan Duffy and the other folks can testify about how important the web has become to them as they steer the product down the path to excellence.

Bravo to them all !.

Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College

d

I honestly like the obsession better than the expression, ... As someone once said, and I agree with this, "the obsession thinks more like I do"...
I don't think that's me you're quoting, but I have said that. Here's the thing: The Obsession can trace it's roots back to Tharon Musser's Light Palette; whereas the Expression philsophies go back to at least the Kliegl Performer, if not the Q-File. Both work, but are different. My (rare) complaint about Vision thru Express(ion) is "sometimes you hit <enter> sometimes you don't." Where as a "Command-line board" (LP, Obs, HogII/3, grandMA, et al.) will not do anything until <enter> / <*> is pressed. After using the Expression line, solely, for at least 10 years, going to the ObsessionII was a challenge, as I had forgotten to how to press <enter.> And how do you release channels? <Goto> <Q> <zero> <*>? (Rhetorical, as that's the way it used to be.)

I follow the ETC users forum, especially the Eos/Ion section, where I actually learn quite a bit about the console, without actually seeing one !.

Ya' all need to head on over there on occasion, as it truly is a remarkable development to have a manufacturer (so rare in my 32 years in the business) and all the assorted folks involved in development, ACTUALLY LISTENING TO THE CLIENTS, as the product is developing. And making requested changes/betterments, practically before our very eyes. Link to ETC User's Forum. Also, HES, Martin, and MA Lighting all have similar forums. Should be easily found via a google search, or hunting through the mfg.'s website.

I cannot say enough about what a remarkable job all the ETC folks have done to make the users feel like we are getting a product that works for us. There is a good presence on The LightNetwork from Martin, High End and Jands, but the ETC forum is in a different category and is not just a ***** session, but also a learning experience for the users and developers. How can you forget Vista??? Users on LN are as vehement in their love for Vista (oh sorry, you said Jands, but you forgot grandMA), as we are here for ETC. You'd think from reading posts over there that Vista is the solution to every problem. While I agree it's unique, I just don't get it. And I've never seen one in use. Not bashing, just offering opinion/experience.

I'm sure Ann and Dan Duffy and the other folks can testify about how important the web has become to them as they steer the product down the path to excellence.

Bravo to them all !...
Hear hear! ETC RULZ!!! Although for the time being (at least until my Eos/Ion demo) my favorite desk is still grandMA.

Will that take the channel to zero or what the tracked in value is?
Exactly! That's the one thing I really dislike about the obsession!
Right, so there is no tracking native console with a release button, if you can find one point it out. The Express(ion) line are not tracking native, they are just tracking capable.

When you are in LIVE hitting: chan# [@] [ENTER] will take the channel to 0. Or hitting: chan# [OUT] will take the channel to 0, that is the definition of out. In strand speak it is the [OFF] key, or you could set your key for that as well.

However, in [autolink]BLIND[/autolink] or [autolink]PREVIEW[/autolink] hitting: chan# [@] [ENTER] only takes the commands off that [autolink]channel[/autolink]. Which is kind of like what soundman was thinking. This command sets the [autolink]channel[/autolink] to the [autolink]level[/autolink] it was in the previous [autolink]cue[/autolink]. To take a [autolink]channel[/autolink] to 0 in [autolink]BLIND[/autolink] you have to hit: chan# [@] 0 [ENTER].

I personally hate the [autolink]release[/autolink] [autolink]button[/autolink]. It totally throws me off. It is always an extra step, no matter what. If you record a [autolink]cue[/autolink], you still have to [autolink]release[/autolink], the concept of captured channels is just a PITA. On the [autolink]tracking[/autolink] native consoles (Obsession, [autolink]Strand[/autolink], [autolink]etc[/autolink]) once you record a [autolink]cue[/autolink], you are in that [autolink]cue[/autolink], channels are "released", and taking the next [autolink]cue[/autolink] does just that, no need to worry about captured channels.

Tell us how you really feel Icewolf08, no need to be guarded around us. I bet you'd hate having to "clear the programmer."

I've been using the ION for about 7 months, and I think it's great!
in response to no "release" button, you could also just hit "sneak enter" as well as "Goto Q 0 enter" - both do the same thing. but using sneak is faster and you can select the channels you want to release instead of only all the channels.
also, in response to recording ques then having to clear the programmer. You can go into settings and disable Auto-Playback. This will record a Q normally, but instead of going directly into that Q it will not take control of the channels.

Personally I love the idea of captuting channels and I miss the release button (I still say to my programmers "record, enter, release"), because I can override channel levels in a cue containing those channels already, rather than a tracking console where the next time it encounters those channels, it takes their native value instead of the new value.

I also miss the release button when I want to run a console in non-tracking mode (which I often want to do).

But if you have $6k+ to spend then the Ion is a good console.

Mike

Speaking of the Ion, and Release/Sneak Enter etc. How do you guys prefer to program your shows on the ion, or any tracking console for that matter? Do you record your cue then sneak enter or change the values that you want to change from the last cue?

One of the nice things about tracking consoles in general and the Ion/Eos in particular, is once you set channel levels via the command line and press enter, then record to a cue (and press Enter again), the cue is immediately residing on the fader and there's no need to load the cue and press release.

Thus with a tracking console, you are always building on the last cue called on the fader.

Saves a TON of time over an Expression/Express syntax, IMO, but then I've always been a Light Palette kind of guy.

Steve B.

Speaking of the Ion, and Release/Sneak Enter etc. How do you guys prefer to program your shows on the ion, or any tracking console for that matter? Do you record your cue then sneak enter or change the values that you want to change from the last cue?

Well considering that once you record the cue on the Ion, it is then playing back - Sneak, Enter - wouldn't do anything.

Tracking consoles are really made to have the show recorded in order. (at least it's a great deal easier that way) Why not work the way in which your console does?

Question, all, I'm making a decision to purchase this board, but it needs to be Portable... (That's an understatement)... Anyone ever tried or heard of rackmounting ION? I can have a custom portable cabinet built for it to hold it, as well as other lighting rack equipment, and an expansion wing, but it would really be easier if I could just rackmount the thing.. It's 17 inches wide... Surprised it doesn't say anything about rack mounting it on the website or anything... would make my job MUCH easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back