ETC Ion Universe 2 Port Not Working

We have a ETC Ion 5000 with 2 universes. We have never had the need for the second universe until recently as we begin to expand our lighting capabilities. I cannot get the Port 2 to output. Tried looking in the shell and the output settings (port 2 is on). Is it a bad port or am I missing something?!?

Might need some more information.... but my initial guess is in your patching? You mentioned port 2 is on, but what universe is it set to? Can you share some pictures of the port setup and your patch? Or a show file?

Might need some more information.... but my initial guess is in your patching? You mentioned port 2 is on, but what universe is it set to? Can you share some pictures of the port setup and your patch? Or a show file?
For the current show I had to just go with universe 1/port 1 since I had enough channels-so my patching isn’t going to show anything right now. When I’m plugged into universe 1, I get signal showing I’m getting DMX data. When I plug into universe 2, signal goes away.

The output port 2 is set for 513. When I would patch the fixtures I set the address as 2/1 for the starting fixture-With the correct types and channel numbers selected on the Ion and the fixture. What concerns me is there is no data signal coming from port 2. The Ion is running Network for the house rep plot of incandescent lights-so is that confusing something? I have never combined before so not 100% familiar with that end of it.

Attachments

• D4FE1AD4-873D-47A0-A0C4-9CC1E9C74C68.jpeg
    D4FE1AD4-873D-47A0-A0C4-9CC1E9C74C68.jpeg
    544 KB · Views: 289
Where are you seeing the signal level? Are you going direct to a fixture, or through a gateway? While it is entirely possible that your 2nd port could be dead... I have another suspicion. If you go "home" to the live screen and press about to get your console's about info.... what does that say?

Where are you seeing the signal level? Are you going direct to a fixture, or through a gateway? While it is entirely possible that your 2nd port could be dead... I have another suspicion. If you go "home" to the live screen and press about to get your console's about info.... what does that say?
I have a dmx splitter that shows the signal. Picture shows the about display.

Attachments

• 883BF831-9F42-48D3-984E-D8B6616E6EF1.jpeg
    883BF831-9F42-48D3-984E-D8B6616E6EF1.jpeg
    586.7 KB · Views: 225
We’ll fastest way to test if port 2 is bad is plug into 3 and swap the address outputs so 3 reads 513 and 2 reads 1025. The network shouldn’t affect anything if you are going from the port direct to fixtures. I would say if 3 does the same swap out the home run dmx cable or throw a DMXcat type tool on it and see for sure if signal is actually present down the whole line.

This does not sound like an after hours emergency.... 24/7 yes.... please try to not bother them after hours with non emergencies. They are humans with lives after all.
I strongly disagree. the 24/7 support is not for emergencies only. Also, don't forget that ETC in an international company with employees in many time zones. If is very possible that you will be routed to someone during their standard business hours, even if they aren't 9 to 5 in Wisconsin.

I strongly disagree. the 24/7 support is not for emergencies only. Also, don't forget that ETC in an international company with employees in many time zones. If is very possible that you will be routed to someone during their standard business hours, even if they aren't 9 to 5 in Wisconsin.
Tech support is all based in Wisconsin. All Tech Support calls go to staff in the Madison area. If the issue isn't currently show critical, it can wait until business hours.

So you have an Ion Classic, with 2 Universes of output. Look at the "System Count" of 1024 in the "About" Tab which is the number of addresses your console can output.

Make sure in the patch the interface output is set to both sACN or ArtNet, and DMX.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 2.58.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 2.58.09 PM.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 117
Depends where you are, surely? I've spoken to UK support technicians who definitely didn't sound like they were of US origin.

Last edited:
I have had to call them at 7pm EDT during a tech; they weren't staffed, they had to beep the on-call guy. This was pre-pandemic.

Yes, they *will* wake someone up at 3 am... but they *are*; they are not *staffed* 24/7.

#WheatonsPrecept

Users who are viewing this thread

Back