ETC Irideon AR50 DMX Control

Edrick

Premium Member
So it seems these have a 5 pin connector, but I'm confused if they need a DMX Interpuator or if they speak DMX. The manual mentions something about one, however I'm not sure if that's in certian applications where you need a converter from ETCs Architectural protocol to DMX for these fixtures or if these fixtures just don't speak DMX.

Anyone familiar with these?

DavidNorth

ETC Rigging General Manager
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
Departed Member
So it seems these have a 5 pin connector, but I'm confused if they need a DMX Interpuator or if they speak DMX. The manual mentions something about one, however I'm not sure if that's in certian applications where you need a converter from ETCs Architectural protocol to DMX for these fixtures or if these fixtures just don't speak DMX.

Anyone familiar with these?
They speak the Irideon protocol and need a DMXi [DMX Interpreter] to be able to run on DMX. Hopefully if you have the fixtures, you also have a DMXi or MCP to run them. I think we can blast code into a MCP to make it a DMXi.

David

Edrick

Premium Member
Unfortunately we got these at a "Garage Sale" of equipment. So we just have fixtures, is it possible to still obtain the DMXi? is it even worth it cost wise?

DavidNorth

ETC Rigging General Manager
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
Departed Member
Unfortunately we got these at a "Garage Sale" of equipment. So we just have fixtures, is it possible to still obtain the DMXi? is it even worth it cost wise?
Let me see if I have one and then perhaps we can work up a price that will interest you. These are getting hard to find.

David

macsound

Dredging up an old thread here but for good reason. I recently found a used AR50 and DMXi on eBay and was so excited to pick them up for what I thought was reasonable for a passtime "toy" since I have no intention on this thing being used in production, just a perfectly mini moving light that I've loved ever since I saw it around 1998 at Innoventions in Disneyland.

Anyway, I've connected DMX to the DMXi and wired the output into the AR50 but no go.
The DMX light on the DMXi unit flashes when DMX is present and doesn't when I unplug it, so I assume that part is ok.
The light itself seems brand new. No dust on the inside, no scuffs or scratches. It powers on when plugged in and does a self test. If I set the dials at 00 it runs through a self test, kind of a weird self test, but I don't know what its supposed to do, so can't tell if anything is wrong or not.

Anyone out there remember anything about these fixtures that could help?
I'm starting my troubleshooting with using different cabling. I just bought some XLR5 on amazon to try and save soldering time but wondering if they could be bad. Also I keep swapping the polarity of the DMX in and (irideon protocol?) RS485 out, because different documentation shows the + and - differently. Does polarity even matter with DMX? Never tried swapping it in real use.

Anyway, thanks!

RonHebbard

Premium Member
Dredging up an old thread here but for good reason. I recently found a used AR50 and DMXi on eBay and was so excited to pick them up for what I thought was reasonable for a passtime "toy" since I have no intention on this thing being used in production, just a perfectly mini moving light that I've loved ever since I saw it around 1998 at Innoventions in Disneyland.

Anyway, I've connected DMX to the DMXi and wired the output into the AR50 but no go.
The DMX light on the DMXi unit flashes when DMX is present and doesn't when I unplug it, so I assume that part is ok.
The light itself seems brand new. No dust on the inside, no scuffs or scratches. It powers on when plugged in and does a self test. If I set the dials at 00 it runs through a self test, kind of a weird self test, but I don't know what its supposed to do, so can't tell if anything is wrong or not.

Anyone out there remember anything about these fixtures that could help?
I'm starting my troubleshooting with using different cabling. I just bought some XLR5 on amazon to try and save soldering time but wondering if they could be bad. Also I keep swapping the polarity of the DMX in and (irideon protocol?) RS485 out, because different documentation shows the + and - differently. Does polarity even matter with DMX? Never tried swapping it in real use.

Anyway, thanks!
Calling: @jfleenor
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Malabaristo

Welcome to the club of people with weird old stuff for no good reason... They're definitely not very practical fixtures, but they're cute and they make good robot noises.

If you're looking at the manual, is it safe to assume that you have successfully set the address on the fixture (to #1) and picked the right mode in the DMXI? The polarity labels on the circuit board are correct. In this photo the DMX connector is on the bottom and fixtures 1-31 are the next header up with wires. Mine is set to "Standard16 8ch" for 16-bit pan/tilt, CMY, and either intensity or frost depending on the fixture. I don't remember the actual order of the parameters, but I think the profile exists in Eos. Let me know if there's anything else you want to see a comparison of.

16139591206226613278117161735406.jpg

macsound

Welcome to the club of people with weird old stuff for no good reason... They're definitely not very practical fixtures, but they're cute and they make good robot noises.

If you're looking at the manual, is it safe to assume that you have successfully set the address on the fixture (to #1) and picked the right mode in the DMXI? The polarity labels on the circuit board are correct. In this photo the DMX connector is on the bottom and fixtures 1-31 are the next header up with wires. Mine is set to "Standard16 8ch" for 16-bit pan/tilt, CMY, and either intensity or frost depending on the fixture. I don't remember the actual order of the parameters, but I think the profile exists in Eos. Let me know if there's anything else you want to see a comparison of.

View attachment 21565
I'll start over with my wiring and make sure polarity is copesetic.
They're super cute and surprisingly bright for a 35w lamp and really nice color. Really wish something like it was still manufactured.

Users who are viewing this thread