Control/Dimming ETC Microvision Monitor help please

Hello, This post is very similar to what I am having an issue with;

We just bought a used ETC Concept board. It has 2 RGB DB9 outs and 2 BNC Monochrome outs. I would like to just hook this up to a Display with a A/V Compostie in. I have a BNC Cable and a RCA to BNC Adapter. However, I plug it in to the TV/Display and only get gray lines. Is the BNC Cable to long?

What are the DIP switches on the back suppose to be set on?

Also, what are the commands to have the board output on the BNC Jacks (I dont know if this is currently set too).

Anything would help!

... However, I plug it in to the TV/Display and only get gray lines. Is the BNC Cable too long?

Doubtful, as I've run the monochrome video signal 400' from the Concept 500 console over RG-59 cable.

From the Expression_1 Technical Manual:
7. VIDEO
The video circuit provides simultaneous digital color RGB and monochrome analog
composite RS-170 outputs. Dipswitch settings provide for selecting between
Color/Monochrome and 50/60 HZ refresh rates. The Monochrome switch setting will
provide half-intensity instead of greyscale monochrome; this provides a brighter
display on the composite monitor and displays purple and white characters on a color
RGB monitor.
The screen displays 34 lines of 80 characters, where each character cell is 7 pixels
wide by 9 pixels high. This yields a horizontal sync rate of 18.36 KHZ, which is
sufficiently different from the IBM CGA and EGA color RGB standards to require readjustment
of some RG8 monitors to display the entire screen. For this reason it is
recommended that a high quality “multi-sync” type of monitor be used, as they will
automatically adjust their scan rates. The pinout of the DB-9 color RGB connector is
the same as the IBM CGA standard. Any high quality RS-170 compatible
monochrome monitor with a 20 KHZ horizontal bandwidth and horizontal sync and
centering controls will work with the monochrome output.

I'm sure if you contact David North, he'll be happy to help.

In fact, we are emailing right now!

David

Also, what are the commands to have the board output on the BNC Jacks (I dont know if this is currently set too).

Anything would help!

I believe the BNC are early version of Net1, sending data to the Remote Video Node, and were not video. They used BNC ThinNet before going to Cat5/RJ45.

Some early Express consoles had both BNC and Cat5/RJ45. Later models only Cat5.

This thread reminded me--I have a ETC Microvision FX sitting under my repair bench I have been meaning to tend to and try to resurrect... Its only issue is the CGA video output/BNC no longer functions...

I get nothing when plugged into its monochrome monitor--no lines, no nada except a small flash at start up and thats it. All I can determine is the video chipset or ciircuits to the BNC is somehow dead (have not had time to deeply get into testing each component)...but the video component is part of the main MB...so its not like a computer where I can 'slap a new video card in' and move on...

Entering the keystroke sequences 'blind' from my memory the console still performs, patches and brings up channels/dimmers no problem & spits out DMX no worries--its just got no video display..A really TRULY "Blind" feature...which really really makes it hard to do much unless you can remember the key sequences "perfectly" and picture what you are doing from memory in your head...and even then you are easy to lose your way quick and lack the display we all rely upon....

I briefly investigated the CGA to VGA conversion kit from TANY and would gladly pay for it--however it seems the CGA output actually has to be working in order for the converter to work--otherwise I would gladly pay them to get this little console working again.. ETC when I contacted them last of course has no ideas (except to 'buy an Ion' <yuck!> ) or any microvision parts of course...

So since a lot of you are as old as I am ( LOL )--anyone have any thoughts or ideas...or an old working MB or video chip for this great little workhorse they want to part with/sell??

-w

Wolf,

Likely they cannot tell you how to fix this over the phone as they don't quite know what's wrong without cracking into your specific problem. I'm sure you can appreciate how difficult it is to help repair circuits remotely that we stopped building in the early 90s.

If you want, I can send you schematics. If I remember correctly, and it's been a long time, I think the video was generated by two different chips [horizontal and vertical split??]. Bear in mind that this was a non-standard circuit in a time when PC parts were just coming into being.....and this wasn't PC related.

Let me know,

David

dnorth at etcconnect dot com

Re: ETC Expression 1 Monitor Problems

Evening Controlbooth,

I'm having an issue regarding the monitor output for an ETC Expression 1. I can't seem to get an image from the console. I have tried two different VGA monitors (with a VGA to CRT adapter), but both give me an "OUT OF RANGE" error. Anyone have a similar experience? Or a solution?

Many thanks!

What kind of adapter are you using? If it's a cable adapter only [no electronics] then it will likely not work. An Expression I outputs custom timing that is not VGA but is closer to CGA so you need a converter card or box.

The converter card listed farther up the thread can also be used to make this all happen. We use flat screen monitors and adapter cards in our repair department. Send me a PM if you need more info.

Thanks,

David

Insight console monitor question

Hey there! So, I have an Insight console with a CRT green screen monitor that uses a CGA/serial port connection. My monitor is now going out (shocker, its incredibly old). Our Insight currently won't let us save to disk, but because the monitor is all wonky, we can't try to figure out what the problem is. Does anyone know of a way to try to convert to being able to use a VGA monitor? I tried the simplest route of buying an adapter, which was a no go. I'm not even certain if its possible, or if I just need to try to find a working CRT monitor (which is what ETC suggested, but the monitors they suggested were pricey. And not sold by them).

Thoughts?

Re: Insight console monitor question

They are pricey, but you are paying for the old hardware that will still work. Odds are your disk drive died, any old disk drive can be installed in that console. If you can pick up the new monitor for under 500 bucks, do it. If not, probably smart to think of a replacement, no reason to sink more cash into that console.

Considering that we now have 3 consoles for two spaces, I'm not completely averse to getting rid of it, however my designer disagrees with me. I may futz with it based on some solutions that were mentioned in the post my post was moved to, as it might prove to be useful in a student space we're trying to set up.

Thanks!

Does anyone know of a way to try to convert to being able to use a VGA monitor? I tried the simplest route of buying an adapter, which was a no go.

What kind of adapter did you use?

We have had luck with the Huai Electronics Co WEI-YA converter, model ACV-011, which can be purchased a number of places on line acv-011 | eBay. You will have to provide your own power supply and enclosure as well as make up an adapter cable. Here is some info:

CGA to VGA converter info.JPG

Does that help?

David

David - it was just a simple 15 to 9 pin adapter, required no power supply, nothing other than attaching it to the monitor and plugging it into the board. It seemed almost too easy, and it was! I'll take a look at what you posted - I'm going to re-tackle this on Monday.

Thanks!

David,

How comparable is this http://www.digitalsystemsdesign.co.uk/product_uploads/13063261461.pdf to what you suggested (not where I bought it, but I purchased it earlier in the spring thinking I might have time to work on this, but haven't until now). Mostly I'm trying to read the specifications, but my brain can't make heads or tails of it. I think most of it is that what I learned previously I haven't had to use in so long that I can't understand what I'm looking at...

Alicia,

Looking at the input frequency specs, it will not work. However, doing the same on the ACV-011 card also tells me it won't work either, yet it does. We use a second manufacturer of converter here and it has some pixel problems, so I haven't listed it as an option.

I'm sorry to say that I can't tell you whether it would be ok. It's certainly not going to cause problems, as long as you wire it up correctly. So if you already have it, wouldn't it be worth a shot? If you would like, I can test it here if you send it to me.

Let me know,

David

As David North has suggested...I also have been using a CGA to VGA Converter Board on our Microvision FX at MVPAC. It works great! When we use it we plug it into a nice 15" LCD Monitor.

We use this one

Cherry Master Arcade CGA RGB to VGA Video Converter - eBay (item 260356033037 end time Mar-03-09 21:07:26 PST)

MUCH Cheaper and easier than trying to go out and find an old CGA Monitor. All you need is this board, a Male DB9 connector from Radio Shack, a 12vDC Power supply and some basic soldering skills and you're all set. I got mine working in a matter of about 30 minutes...the most time consuming part was soldering the DB9 Connector.

Dear friend, I have a consol Microvision fx with the problem of the monitor, I bought the interface that you suggest in the link, the model "GBS-8220" but I can not understand why I do not work. Kindly, can you tell me how you soldered the wires in the connector that connects to the DB9 interface cga? Thanks await Reply Walter

Hi Walter,

Well, it looks like we have been befuddled by old web links. Ebay previously would have deisplayed the ACV-011 board that I talked about but not it displays the GBS-8220, as well as a bunch of other stuff. I do not have experience with the GBS-8220, but it might very well work.

According to the manual, the pinout should be the same as what was posted above if you have the adapter cable.

Red to pin 3
Green to pin 4
Blue to pin 5
Grey to pin 8
Yellow to pin 9
Black to pins 1 and 2

However, I bet this is where we are confused. The manual calls out a 5 pin connector with 5 wires, but has instructions, like mine, for 6 wires. What did they send you?

David

Hi Walter,

Well, it looks like we have been befuddled by old web links. Ebay previously would have deisplayed the ACV-011 board that I talked about but not it displays the GBS-8220, as well as a bunch of other stuff. I do not have experience with the GBS-8220, but it might very well work.

According to the manual, the pinout should be the same as what was posted above if you have the adapter cable.

Red to pin 3
Green to pin 4
Blue to pin 5
Grey to pin 8
Yellow to pin 9
Black to pins 1 and 2

However, I bet this is where we are confused. The manual calls out a 5 pin connector with 5 wires, but has instructions, like mine, for 6 wires. What did they send you?

David
Dear David, I bought on ebay interface "GBS-8220" but it came to me, aesthetically in all the same but on the pcb reads "HD 9800 v.5.0". I did various tests and links, but never anything on the screen, I hope in the coming days to try to solder the connector as you suggested and let you know, I'm on tour. Searching the internet I found one that I had discouraged information, you insert the link," http://www.etcconnect.com/Community...or-expression-1-and-microvision-consoles.aspx" and I hope that your instructions are positive. I'm using the Consol with a now old and bulky CRTs, I liked to use an LCD, most practical transport, do not despair, thanks for your attention, regards, Walter

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back