ETC Net 3 nodes

Tex

I'm working in a theatre with Net 3 nodes, some of which were mounted to the wall during the install. It's obvious that they have been there since the building opened. On the electrics, the nodes are clamped to the pipe. Also on the pipe are female RJ45 jacks labeled "Net1" and "Net2". Nodes are plugged into the Net2 jack. Control is an Ion running the latest software. The nodes are in Net2 mode.
Has anyone seen this before? I don't understand why the older network was installed when Net3 was available and Net3 nodes were used. I need to reconfigure one of the nodes to be on an additional universe. Could I reconfigure using RDM from the console, or would I need to do it at the node?

I'm assuming "Net 1" and "Net 2" are not ETCNet 1 and ETCNet2, but rather just numbers for networking ports. ETCNet2 and Net3 can run on the same network regardless.

I couldn't tell you why the nodes are in Net2, maybe the console when the building was opened was not net3 compatible?

You can reconfigure net2 nodes by using "Network Configuration Editor", software available on the ETC website and installable on any computer or it can be installed on the ion as well.

That was my thought as well, however when I changed the nodes to ACN mode from the console, they no longer passed DMX to the fixtures. Changed them back to Net2 mode and they worked. The console showed them as being connected and in Net2 mode, but gave me no option to change the universe. Admittedly, this was at the end of the day and I didn't work at it for very long. I may have missed something obvious. All four electrics have a "Net1" and "Net2" jack.
I just updated the console software this week. I wonder if I need to upgrade the software on the nodes as well.

Last edited:
It is possible that they are running in Net2 mode intentionally due to the presence of a Legacy Unison processor in the system. Additionally, if you changed them to Net3 mode and had no control, did you confirm that sACN is enabled and default at the Ion? If they have been running in Net2 mode then this protocol may have been disabled.

Reactions: Tex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back