ETC NET3 ACN Gateway

I don’t see why not.
BBFE6D37-7584-467E-B463-2830139921CA.png

you definitely can’t break anything if it is it’s own stand alone network from booth to stage., which is what I assumed you meant to say.

If it is sharing a network with something else it might take some tinkering with IPs and all that jazz.

Yes. I keep a dedicated 2 port node at FOH for this purpose. Just keep a couple male to male turn arounds if you order them standard. You can order the node with input ports but it doesn't matter. Digitally they can be set however you want.

Use Gateway Configurator Editor in shell on an EOS system or windows pc and set the ports as inputs and your good to go.

Just make sure if your console and RPU if you have one, is on in primary that anything you want the guest LD to control you need to have unpatched or you'll run into problems. For instance, if they want you to keep control over house than everything else needs to be unpatched or thrown in a different partition. Unless they're running the same console that is, than you can just run as a client.

Hi, I think i have done my research correctly, but can I use a ETC Net3 DMX/RDM Two-Port Gateway to convert signal for a visiting LD? Our theatre has a network cable in the booth and we want to convert it to a DMX signal. Can I use this box in the booth, plug it into the network box in the booth, and use the DMX outputs to plug into their board?
@Amiers and @Stagemanager01 Quoting @Stagemanager01 "Can I use the DMX OUTPUTS to plug into their board?"

If @Stagemanager01 was asking to connect the DMX outputs of a visiting LD's board into his network to operate his venue's existing inventory I'd understand what he was trying to do.
Per his post, he's planning to connect his venue's node's OUTPUTS to a visiting console's OUTPUTS for a purpose I'm not understanding; connecting two OUTPUTS together is rarely a good idea.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a lot to unpack here.
Is your system ETCNet3? Are your Dimmer racks Sensor +, Sensor 3, or something else? What control signal are your dimmer racks receiving: DMX, eDMX, sACN(Net3),?
What console is being brought in? How many universes of control do you need to get into your system?
If you are running ETCNet3 and the console coming in can output sACN, then you could plug the console right into the network port in your booth.
If you need to take DMX out of the console and convert it to ETCNet3, then the two port DMX/ACN Gateway is a good way to do it.
Currently, gateway configuration is more often handled by Concert not the old Gateway Configuration Editor. Concert can be used from the shell of an Eos/Element/Cobalt console, or it can be downloaded and used on a computer. The download is available from the ETC website.
Where in California are you? A phone call might be more productive. PM me if you want to discuss this on the phone. Or call ETC Tech Support.
Take care,
John

There is a lot to unpack here.
Is your system ETCNet3? Are your Dimmer racks Sensor +, Sensor 3, or something else? What control signal are your dimmer racks receiving: DMX, eDMX, sACN(Net3),?
What console is being brought in? How many universes of control do you need to get into your system?
If you are running ETCNet3 and the console coming in can output sACN, then you could plug the console right into the network port in your booth.
If you need to take DMX out of the console and convert it to ETCNet3, then the two port DMX/ACN Gateway is a good way to do it.
Currently, gateway configuration is more often handled by Concert not the old Gateway Configuration Editor. Concert can be used from the shell of an Eos/Element/Cobalt console, or it can be downloaded and used on a computer. The download is available from the ETC website.
Where in California are you? A phone call might be more productive. PM me if you want to discuss this on the phone. Or call ETC Tech Support.
Take care,
John

Thank you.
System is a ETCNet3
Sensor3 Dimmers
sACN for control signal (i think-or art-net-I work at 3 theatres and get confused sometimes-can't go into the venue yet to check)
The console being brought in is a GrandMA2 (the venue has an Ion)
Really only need 1 universe, but would like to do 2 for future if needed

While the GrandMA2 can be networked, the designer WANTS DMX. We have run into this a couple of times now, and it leads to some attitude from the designers when we can't give them DMX (eyeroll). So ultimately, I am needing to convert the booth network signal from our wall panel to DMX.

If whatever gateway/node you have has 5 pin DMX connectors on it you can take a DMX signal from a console and I put into the system. If you have male XLR then the cables from the console plug right in. Typically gareways would have female XLR as they tend to get used for outputs more frequently, so you will need male/male turnarounds.

Then you connect the gateway to a Net3 cat5 port and while in the shell on the console launch ETC Concert software. When launched look for the Network map icon and generate a current network configuration. The gateway you want to use should be present. You can click to select each port and convert them to input ports. Then save and send the confit to that device. Save the Concert file and you should be good to go

Do you have the Gateway and is it configured or will you be buying one?
The reason that I ask is that out of the box the Gateway will be configured with an IP address which won't immediately show up in Concert unless you have ONE device on your network as a DHCP server.
There is a function in Concert which allows the software to look for devices on the physical network that aren't in its IP and Subnet range and then configure them.
If you have a DHCP server which could be your Ion, then the Gateway should get its IP address from that and be fine. If your system has static IP addresses (like mine), then know that you will have to "Find Unreachable Devices" when you launch Concert.
Many LD's do not really understand networking, so like to stay in the DMX realm. Having the option to make your life easier by not having to deal with their baggage is a win in my book.
FYI, it is possible in Concert to "patch" one universe of input to any network universe and address through the AIP (Advanced Input Patch). You could also set-up a configuration that might not patch houselight and worklight circuits through the input so that your Ion and/or houselight control would never get stomped on for those dimmers. If you get into this, I recommend talking with your dealer/rep or ETC. The sACN priorities will want to be worked out with your console and houselights.
Good luck,
John

You should be fine using a Net3 Gateway - or the latest generation of Response Mk2 DMX Gateways. The GrandMA2 supports E1.31 (sACN), though, so you might be able to just plug it in, enable that protocol, and use it on the network directly. As stated above, you might have to be mindful of priorities, but if the Ion is using its default priority of 100, you'll likely be fine as I believe that is where the grandMA2 will also default.

You don't need to worry about changing IP addresses on the MA - as sACN is a multicast protocol, it do not matter for purposes of sending levels.

I'd even Recommend the use of a node as we've had shows come in and direct ACN (we are a Sensor 3 house with Net3 interfaces) and found that there is about a half second delay on control. When we have them go straight DMX out into one of our 4 port nodes the delay goes away. DMX Speed doesn't seem to effect it and swapping cables, nodes, and ports doesn't seem to change it.

But yes a 2 port node will work great for you be aware when using direct DMX to the node they will have the full universe in that specified universe. So say that your house lights live in address 99-120 if they have some show data that brings those up part way through the show its on them to get rid of the house lights. Our system was designed in part thinking about touring shows so all of our house lights are in a separate universe from our stage circuits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back