Control/Dimming ETC NET3

jerekb

Can someone lay out a basic... NET3 set up? like what Will I need for the iRFR. Previously we had a Strand 500i with there ShowNet therefore we have a POE injector CAT5 ports and a wireless router. So I am guessing there is some type of interface that is strad specific that we will have to replace with an ETC. Can someone give me like a layout or a list with simple description of what things are and a little Diagram would be even better! Thank you!!

Your wiring is the exact same, same POE injectors will work as well. Really, its just as simple as unplugging the shownet gear and plugging in the ETC gear. The wireless access point will work the same as well. Its not really that big of a deal. Hold onto those shownet nodes, there is a possibility, though a slim one, that one day they will get the upgrade to ACN and everything will be able to talk.

It is standard networking topology. All you have to do is plug the ETC equipment into your router and make sure that the IP addresses are assigned correctly. A network is a network, it will just work. I assume that you have a new ETC console as the iRFR won't work with your Strand 520i.

Can someone lay out a basic... NET3 set up? like what Will I need for the iRFR. Previously we had a Strand 500i with there ShowNet therefore we have a POE injector CAT5 ports and a wireless router. So I am guessing there is some type of interface that is strad specific that we will have to replace with an ETC. Can someone give me like a layout or a list with simple description of what things are and a little Diagram would be even better! Thank you!!

The CAD will have to wait.

The only real option here, if going with ETC in Net 2 or 3 is Eos/Ion, as all the other older Net2 stuff, Obsession II and Emphasis is gone.

You can re-use the Cat5 wiring backbone, the PoE switch and the WiFi router, as they are all generic Ethernet devices and are not specific to ETC or Strand (unless the PoE switch is a managed switch, at which point you may simply just re-set to factory setting to get it up and running with ETC).

You will need a new console Ion/Eos, if connecting direct to the lighting Ethernet, or any console sending DMX to a local Net2 or Net3 node, including using the Strand console if so desired.

You might need a new Net2 or Net3 Node at the dimmer racks, if the racks are Strand on the Shownet backbone. If so, that will need to be removed and you will need a Net2/3 node to send DMX direct to the dimmers. Let us know what dimmers.

If you currently use Strand Shownet nodes, then they all need to be replaced, unless they are Pathway nodes at which point Pathway may be able to re-build to Net3 (The Strand Shownet nodes LOOK like Pathway nodes. The older ETC 2 port Net2 nodes WERE Pathway nodes, set to run Net2), so best to check, it might save you some money.

Setting up an ETC Radio Remote Focus Unit is as simple as either plugging the receiver direct to the ETC Ion/Eos console via USB, or to the PoE switch. The router is not required for this.

The WiFi router comes in handy when setting up a laptop in client mode, or an iPhone/iTouch with the appropriate ETC app. BTW, which iRFR are you talking about ?, the old Infrared Remote, or an Apple i Something ?. The old infrared remote won't work with any new gear.

EDIT: Never mind, just saw the iPhone RFR posts.

Just out of curiosity, is this a planned change-over ?, and any reason you are doing so ?. Lot of work and cost, especially if Strand dimmers and a bunch of Shownet nodes running things.

Steve B.

Last edited:
For the sake of clarification:

iRFR - iPod/iPhone radio focus remote
RFR - Radio Focus remote proprietary to ETC, a net3 device with reciever that either plugs into network or USB to console

None of the other RFU units from ETC are Net3 compliant or work with the new consoles.

Oh yeah most everything we have is thru DMX the only thing I using the Net3 for is the new ETC iPhone RFU app that was launched and despite their E-Mail it is still not yet on iTunes as far as I can tell but heres the link for more info on it. Lighting solutions for Theatre, Film & Television Studios and Architectural spaces : ETC

The WiFi router can plug to a small Ethernet switch and from there to the Cat5 connection on the Ion. That will get you WiFi access to the Ion via the iTouch/Phone. You will probably want to do some reading on WiFi connections in the Net3 enviroment on the ETC users forum - Forums - Electronic Theatre Controls

And to Alex, I can say that I am finding myself totally baffled and confused by all the assorted ETC legacy and current remotes designations- RFU, RRFU, iR..... etc...

SB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back