ETC New Product Launch at 11am EST

Most of the "new" features on the apex look like they started on the congo to me, actually, not the hog. Its a nice incremental upgrade of hardware with some strange choices--six NICs make no sense with current offerings, I'm curious if etc has software modifications in mind that will make this more relevant
Hi Dan. I'm thinking more along the lines of ETCs observations of the Hog workflow gave them more and better insight into how other workflows appeal to users and made for some the additional flexibility in the Apex. I agree that Congo features have likely evolved into the Apex feature set :)

The biggest complaint about Eos that I've heard is that it isn't a console that is easy to busk on. It makes sense that they are addressing that, and also just making all of the things that we've come to love about Eos and make them more accessible on the hard control surface.
Physical handles and touch screens do make busking easier... but at the root of the software how you interact with the console is still the issue there. Unless they have changed something drastic that hasn't been on the ETC consoles I've used, you still have the update issue that you do on a single cue stack desk. They really need to throw in a programmer mode so it operates like GrandMA/Hog/Chamsys. I'm looking at a 3-5 million building lighting upgrade in the next few years and I'm currently planning on purchasing both a GrandMA and a ETC something so I can handle both live concerts and dance. Even just busking a handful of LED's on EOS software is rather difficult.

Physical handles and touch screens do make busking easier... but at the root of the software how you interact with the console is still the issue there. Unless they have changed something drastic that hasn't been on the ETC consoles I've used, you still have the update issue that you do on a single cue stack desk. They really need to throw in a programmer mode so it operates like GrandMA/Hog/Chamsys. I'm looking at a 3-5 million building lighting upgrade in the next few years and I'm currently planning on purchasing both a GrandMA and a ETC something so I can handle both live concerts and dance. Even just busking a handful of LED's on EOS software is rather difficult.
ETC introduced staging mode with 3.0. It's basically a programmer that allows you to stage a look then push it to live or blind.

ETC introduced staging mode with 3.0. It's basically a programmer that allows you to stage a look then push it to live or blind.
Yes. I haven't used it but staging mode does this. They have a key swap program that gets you a "stage" button for your console. If I remember correctly you can use your Augment3d model to see what it will look like before bringing it live.

Sorta, still not really the same. On a programmer based desk you can have a ton of stuff going on. Muliple playback active. But, when you want to edit something you can "pull" just that one parameter or fixture into the programmer, the thing is still live, make the edits live, then update and only what you have touched in the programmer gets updated. It doesn't leave hard values all over the place. This staging feature looks more like a middle ground between live or blind.

I'm not even sure if at the root of it EOS can do what a programmer based desk does by default as it would blow up a lot of defaults on the console... simply when you hit "record cue X enter" it records what is onstage. On a programmer based desk that isn't true.

The lack of hard values all over the place by using the programmer is what sets a live desk apart from a theatre desk. You don't have to worry as much about one thing stomping on something else and LTP/HTP doesn't come up as often. Plus, true busking desks are setup more like a musical instrument.... I still feel like even with 3.0 we're still way into whats in the command line and numbers.

Last edited:
Update cue and record cue are different. Record takes whatever is on stage in the absence of selective recording, whereas update rerecords what has changed.

Edit: and there's "record only" to only record manual channels.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back