Control/Dimming ETC Nomad Cobalt

Max Wurtz

Hey, I'm a lighting designer who currently owns and uses ETC Nomad Eos. However, I am very intrigued by the Cobalt family software, but from what I've read it seems to be very geared toward running on the physical console. Do you think its still worth learning the software on my computer as opposed to waiting for an opportunity to use and learn the software on a physical Cobalt or Congo Console?

I'd get on the training videos.
There aren't a lot of Cobalt family in the wild so chances are rare that you will bump into one. On the other hand, you own it so learning that version makes sense. Being able to lay down your system and flip from one to the other is a very powerful sales argument. A Universal Fader Wing might be a good add, after all they are 'universal.'

I'd get on the training videos.
There aren't a lot of Cobalt family in the wild so chances are rare that you will bump into one. On the other hand, you own it so learning that version makes sense. Being able to lay down your system and flip from one to the other is a very powerful sales argument. A Universal Fader Wing might be a good add, after all they are 'universal.'
Well I guess my question would probably be better worded as, is Cobalt only really effective with its hardware, or would it be a worthy investment of my time to try and learn it for Nomad?

Hey, I'm a lighting designer who currently owns and uses ETC Nomad Eos. However, I am very intrigued by the Cobalt family software, but from what I've read it seems to be very geared toward running on the physical console. Do you think its still worth learning the software on my computer as opposed to waiting for an opportunity to use and learn the software on a physical Cobalt or Congo Console?
I plan on doing that as well to learn how to use Cobalt. The one thing I would think about is that it will be way harder on Nomad then on an actual console. Also, what is your main focus in lighting, Theater or more event type?

I plan on doing that as well to learn how to use Cobalt. The one thing I would think about is that it will be way harder on Nomad then on an actual console. Also, what is your main focus in lighting, Theater or more event type?
Right now I'm mainly theatre, but I want to learn Coablt to have a much more busking focused software under my belt.

Very biased long time Cobalt user here:
it's a pity that there aren't more of them around, as it's an excellent desk & software design.
It can busk and do Theatre equally as well.
Yes, it is much better with the hardware, but a fader wing, which can be EOS/Ion or Cobalt, will give you most of the hands on functions you'll need during a show.

Well I guess my question would probably be better worded as, is Cobalt only really effective with its hardware, or would it be a worthy investment of my time to try and learn it for Nomad?
I would try to just learn without the hardware. As I said earlier, it is harder to use without the console, it is better then not learning. :)

Very biased long time Cobalt user here:
it's a pity that there aren't more of them around, as it's an excellent desk & software design.
It can busk and do Theatre equally as well.
Yes, it is much better with the hardware, but a fader wing, which can be EOS/Ion or Cobalt, will give you most of the hands on functions you'll need during a show.
I would agree that it is great for busking but I prefer Eos for the Theater World.

Hi Max,
I, too, am a long time Cobalt user. I love the software.
You can use the Console Mimic Dock to get a virtual console with which to learn. This is useful so that you don't have to remember keyboard equivalents. An X-keys keypad is also very useful. I like using X-keys when I do EOS offline. Cobalt uses a number of double key functions where you press and hold and then press another key. If you use a good X-keys layout, you can do these combos. On the dock, you can use the CTRL key to hold the first key.
It is always good to learn different consoles. The more flexible that you remain the better off that you will be in the long run. I agree with specializing in a console, but not at the exclusion of everything else. I would not likely have gotten my current job if I wasn't familiar with the three types of consoles that they had when I was hired. Also, I have been on tours where I got a different console every night. Now, if I am setting up the console for an LD, it is important that I know what they are most used to.
Take care,
John

Hi Max,
I, too, am a long time Cobalt user. I love the software.
You can use the Console Mimic Dock to get a virtual console with which to learn. This is useful so that you don't have to remember keyboard equivalents. An X-keys keypad is also very useful. I like using X-keys when I do EOS offline. Cobalt uses a number of double key functions where you press and hold and then press another key. If you use a good X-keys layout, you can do these combos. On the dock, you can use the CTRL key to hold the first key.
It is always good to learn different consoles. The more flexible that you remain the better off that you will be in the long run. I agree with specializing in a console, but not at the exclusion of everything else. I would not likely have gotten my current job if I wasn't familiar with the three types of consoles that they had when I was hired. Also, I have been on tours where I got a different console every night. Now, if I am setting up the console for an LD, it is important that I know what they are most used to.
Take care,
John
Would you say that Cobalt is particularly useful to know? Or would my time be better spent on a more popular event based software?

It depends on where you are, and what is being used around you. I know two venues in Los Angeles that are always looking for operators that know Cobalt. I have gotten a couple of jobs because Cobalt operators are so rare.
If you are going to put time into learning a system beyond ETC, I recommend learning the MA.
Here are the consoles that I see come through here with shows:
Grand MA (mostly 2 now)
Eos/Ion/Element
Occasionally, Avo.
Hog (but not in the last 3 years)
Vista (once in 7 years)
I don't think anyone has been through with MagicQ or Martin M Series.
Take care,
John

One thing that might make working with either Eos or Cobalt easier on the Nomads is a big touchscreen. Really big. 19" or better.

I'm thinking about finding a used 24" All-in-One to run it on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back