Control/Dimming ETC Nomad & Express 24/48?

ademhayyu1

Hello all,

I'm designing a show coming up soon in a small blackbox space with a very limited grid. Their console is an ETC Express 24/48. I would like to bring in my Nomad equipment (Gadget II + ETC Eos Software) because this show requires some complicated programming that could maybe happen on an Express but with a very limited Tech schedule. Plus, we will be renting a handful of fixtures ranging from iQue's to LED Ellipsoidals to possible LED Moving Wash lights. I'd feel a lot more comfortable using my Nomad instead for control. I was thinking that for the run, since it's only two weeks or so long, I or the company can bring in another laptop w/ EOS Software installed, I'd hand over my Nomad equipment and they would simply just need to press GO. Are there any limitations or issues that I should be aware of or something I'm missing? Or is everything I mentioned just not possible at all.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. - I love this new website design. Props to the peeps who made this happen!

Make sure whatever computer you use it is locked down, no other software running, no network access, etc.
Make sure whoever will run the show is comfortable enough to fix issues with the Nomad should they arise.

Also make sure there's not anything special ETCnet between the Express and the dimmers that you'll have to worry about. I've never myself seen it in the field but it is possible.

Here, in "blackbox" TV land, I just use the Express but I also don't have any ML or color-changing LEDs (and when I do use them they're so few that I just program the DMX values directly). when I do program it 100% for 'go' control, I move it into the control booth and run a 4-button macro controller over to the technical director and let him run the show.

We use Nomad as our primary lighting system here, and it works great for running all our lights. We also run it from a laptop when doing lighting in our black box space. As long as you are just outputting DMX (and that is all they normally output from their console), there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

Just make sure the laptop is reliable, plugged into a charger, doesn't go to sleep and need a password to unlock, and doesn't have other things running at the same time that might lock it up or slow it down during playback.

The company may not feel comfortable using Nomad though because they will lose their physical sliders and buttons they are probably used to. If all they have to do is press "go," it shouldn't be much of a problem though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back