ETC Nomad question

jtweigandt

smaller theater may be looking to upgrade from old ETC 96 board In looking at the nomad software for a pc or laptop, I see the ETC puck is horrendously expensive. Assuming I could output artnet, and have a cheap converter to give the dmx signal output, and not need their particular puck.. Or can it talk to something like the Enttec usb pro? Ideal would be a full ion board, but is very pricey. Want to stick with the ETC family because a lot of us circulate locally between high schools, other houses , and ion is what is in most locally, and mostly volunteer.

ETCnomad will run on almost any Windows or Mac laptop. There's no need to purchase a Puck. However, there is a need to purchase a license dongle. ETCnomad will output sACN and Art-Net via an ethernet port, or DMX via ETC's proprietary Gadget II.

The least expensive way to acquire a license is via the student package which gets you 512 outputs and a Gadget II for $250 USD.

Last edited:
ETCnomad will run on almost any Windows or Mac laptop. There's no need to purchase a Puck. However, there is a need to purchase a license dongle. ETCnomad will output sACN and Art-Net via an ethernet port, or DMX via ETC's proprietary Gadget II.

The least expensive way to acquire a license is via the student package which gets you 512 outputs and a Gadget II for $250 USD.

And then find a programmable keyboard on ebay and you've got yourself a custom keypad for your new "console". This is what I'm considering for our studio space. I've introduced some Blizzard Hotboxes and need to move on from my Smartfade.

One of the theatres I work for is a two-venue community theatre. I've bought NOMAD for both spaces. Both have Gadget II devices, sACN is always a good way to go.
The main space is currently using an XKEYS for its control surface, with two widescreens.
The small blackbox is running on a laptop with a touch screen and a single external monitor. I usually just use the keyboard myself and setup the virtual keyboard on the touchscreen for others.

Cherry keyboards and the like are a great option and cheaper than XKEYS. Another great option (and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the fader wings) is using Luminosos with Midi wings for faders, buttons, encoders and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back