ETC Offline Previz

alyx92

Hey everyone,

Is it possible to use the Eos Offline editor in conjunction with a previz software without a physical console?

Thanks for your help!
-alyx92

It very much is! I do this on a daily basis. The Eos Offline editor can communicate with pre-visualization software on the same computer by using a loopback adapter or on another computer (In my opinion, the preferred way) that is networked to it. I run the Eos Offline Editor on my PC and the pre-viz (I use Capture Polar and WYSIWYG) on my iMac. It works beautifully. The offline editor simply sends signal through the ethernet cable and is very simple to setup. You must enable output in offline mode in the settings of the home page of Eos Offline. It will ask you to confirm it every time you open the Offline. Now the pre-viz software is going to detect the signal in the ethernet port and there is usually a menu to connect to that console. Reply with your particular pre-viz and I will be glad to instruct the connection. The pre-viz software will naturally go dark and home all movers every few minutes. This is to ensure that the Offline isn't being used as a console essentially. Feel free to ask questions! The concept of pre-viz really changed my way of thinking, designing, and writing my shows. It is so nice to sit in your office and see what you are fixing to load into the board live and put onstage. I really love it for scroller and intelligent work. It allows you to work out the transition kinks in your office. Most of all, remember to have fun!

I have never used WYG in this configuration but a loop back adaptor is what you use to communicate between offline and a Previz software. It really stressed out most computers and was unusable in my experience but these computers where standard computers

It depends on the computer network card. Most I've dealt with will, but some only if they are connected to a network. That way the signal goes out to the router and comes back, sort of like a loop back.

I appreciate the answers! Is there a simple tutorial somewhere to understand what you guys are talking about? Lol. I've had very little experience in this side of computers.

I apologize for my ignorance :)

The ETC website & wiki has several items. Naturally, they disagree somewhat. As with so many things, there are several ways to get it done.

The short answer is usually that you see lights come on. Set up an obvious look on the console.

It's been years since I used WYSIWYG, but I recall that you need to patch sACN rather than DMX.

It's all about the connection. If the controller puts out sACN (or whatever standard protocol) and the Visualizer receives the same one the it works. You could even use a real console. The Viz software pretends it's the dimmers, fixtures and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back