ETC PhaseAdept

Colin

http://www.etcconnect.com/PhaseAdept/

I'm not sure what else to say but "what's the deal with these?"

Nevermind. I have questions:

Envisioned applications? A universal miracle solution for the plague of bad LED house light retrofits? Will there be new and exciting data added to http://www.etcconnect.com/Support/Dimming-Switching/Compatibility/Compatibility-Database.aspx to show us how much better this module's performance is? Does it improve line-dimmed Source 4WRDs? What happens if I plug in an HPL?

Price? Availability?

Your guess is correct: it's a problem solver for line-voltage LED dimming, and way overdue in my opinion. The main idea is that it fixes problems in Legacy Unison and Sensor Classic/+ by swapping modules rather than a complete rack upgrade (or replacement in the case of Unison). It's actually already in the compatibility database, but results will only start to show up for new LED products being tested. That list is all based on what people send in to ETC for testing, so they can't go back and re-test old products. Usually the sample LEDs get returned to the customer.

As for plugging in an HPL.... don't. I imagine the rules will be similar to an ELV10 in that you can get away with small incandescent loads, but loading it anywhere near it's capacity is likely to cause problems (ideally of the protective shutdown variety rather than damage).

Of course, it won't magically fix every problem, but it could help certain LED products suck less. The physics of line-voltage dimming for LEDs is just too difficult for anything to be a complete and magical solution. The S4WRD is already pretty close to as good as you can get when used with CEM3 and the right settings.

The ETC web team might want to correct their grammar: "Interesting in trying PhaseAdept Dimming Module? Complete this form and a member of our team will be in touch!"

Plus, I have to have to sign in to look at a spec sheet? What?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back