ETC RRFU And Insight 3

mrprius

Greetings:
This is my first post.
We have just received a new ETC Insight 3 with the Radio Remote Focus Unit. There are really no instructions on the RRFU in the User Manual. After plugging in the receiver and turning on the Transmitter I am unable to make anything happen.
This has been frustrating and time consuming. If anyone out there could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Charlie

Greetings:
This is my first post.
We have just received a new ETC Insight 3 with the Radio Remote Focus Unit. There are really no instructions on the RRFU in the User Manual. After plugging in the receiver and turning on the Transmitter I am unable to make anything happen.
This has been frustrating and time consuming. If anyone out there could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Charlie

Is the receiver set to the same freq. as the Remote?

http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/manuals/RRFU_Quick_Guide_RevC.pdf

--Sean

First Welcome to the booth. Take a second to post a message on the new user board. We love to hear a little bit about the new people... and don't just get your answer and run away now. Stick around we have a lot of fun here.

A user named JMABRAY is some sort of ETC sales guy or rep... not entirely sure what his connection is... but he's got a lot of inside info. If the link Sean posted doesn't help, find JMABRAY on the "member list" link above and send him a private message... if he doesn't find this here first.

And with that post for the first time in a long time I finally have more posts than Van. YES!!!

Last edited:
Greetings:
This is my first post.
Thank you.
Charlie
Welcome to CB and I hope you get as much out of this as I do.
I had an Insight 3 with the radio unit and could never get the **** thing to work reliably. I was told at one stage it had something to do with fluoro's which I didn't believe.
Good luck. I think it's a great board. Probably my personal favourite.

Welcome Aboard! I shouldn't say that since it isn't officially your new memeber notification, but I'll risk it anyway. I have no meaningfull insight for you I simply need to get more posts up than Gafftaper. I'm losing my edge.

Welcome Aboard! I shouldn't say that since it isn't officially your new memeber notification, but I'll risk it anyway. I have no meaningfull insight for you I simply need to get more posts up than Gafftaper. I'm losing my edge.

I dont even bother competing anymore, then again, I like to keep my job...

Yep - that's me. I am an ETC rep and have been dealing with their product, as a factory tech for going on 8 years now....

My first advice would be to talk to the dealer that sold you the equipment. They should be willing to help you out. If they aren't then call the factory. 800-688-4116. Ask for tech support. They will be able to help you out. If either of these things fail (The latter one won't) you can email me and I will help you out further.

Dang... how's that for service. Less than two hours and there's a link to the manual and a factory rep gives you the info on how to get more help.

Plus I'm up on Van by one post now.

I dont even bother competing anymore, then again, I like to keep my job...

I'm trying to figure out how to get paid for posting on Control Booth. How would that be for a job? :lol:

Dang... how's that for service. Less than two hours and there's a link to the manual and a factory rep gives you the info on how to get more help.
Plus I'm up on Van by one post now.
\\

Not to knock the dealer, but calling ETC Factory tech support is the surefire way to get things fixed. They have the most complete data base as well as folks answering the phone who KNOW the product. Call them even if you have programming questions, as most of the techs actually use the stuff.

SB

I don't want to knock the dealer, but it's usually better for anyone to try to build a relationship with the local guy. So you can call in favors locally. If you always call the factory for things and the local guy has no knowledge of what is happening, it makes it more difficult for them to want to loan you a console when your's does crap out. Not saying they wouldn't - cause I don't know where he is or who he local guy is -but it is usually a good thing to try and keep them in the loop about your concerns. They will usually always want to at least try to help...

Jeff

With any other company jmabray I'd agree with you.

With ETC call their tech support. Especially if you're in a crunch. They'll do whatever it takes to help get your show up and running to the extent of finding you a board locally you can use.

The last time I had a problem with an ETC board I tried to go through my local contacts (which happened to be a large touring/rental company that shall remain nameless) and while they were great they couldn't fix the problem. It took less than 5 minutes for the ETC phone tech to tell me what was wrong.

Again - I understand the thought of going to ETC. It does make sense and I don't disagree with it. It's just my opinion that you should try your local contacts first. The ones that care out the well being of their customer do appreciate it when you call them. They want to be their to help you in the event of a problem. Even if they don't know the answer, they can help facilitate a lot of things when it comes to dealing with the factory. If you have to send something back to the factory - you are going to have to deal with them at some point in time anyway. Isn't it better that they have been involved with the process from the begining and know the story? Plus, like I said, it helps when you need to call in a favor if you have been using the local guy first. They are more likely to go way above and beyond to help you out.

Hey JMABRAY,
Just want to thank you for being a useful source of information without cramming ETC down our throats. You, BillESC, and Kelite all do a great job of providing helpful information about your companies without being annoying. It's great to know there is an expert nearby without feeling like that expert is going to sell you a used car.

Thanks

Again - I understand the thought of going to ETC. It does make sense and I don't disagree with it. It's just my opinion that you should try your local contacts first. The ones that care out the well being of their customer do appreciate it when you call them. They want to be their to help you in the event of a problem. Even if they don't know the answer, they can help facilitate a lot of things when it comes to dealing with the factory. If you have to send something back to the factory - you are going to have to deal with them at some point in time anyway. Isn't it better that they have been involved with the process from the begining and know the story? Plus, like I said, it helps when you need to call in a favor if you have been using the local guy first. They are more likely to go way above and beyond to help you out.

Don't get me wrong. 9 times out of ten I go with the local guy or I call a friend in the know. But in a crunch time situation skip the middle man and go with ETC tech support.

Sean:
You were the first to respond and sent the link

http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_...Guide_RevC.pdf

that was spot on.

Included in the RRFU we received was only a two sided page.
The link you sent has one additional page. That was the one that happened to mention the three different frequency settings for the unit.
Ah-Ha!
Problem solved!
Thanks to everyone for the posts that related to the issue.
You guys that are trying to outpost each other are whack! Although now I guess I'm giving you another posting opportunity.
Have at it.
Charlie

Sean:
that was spot on.
The link you sent has one additional page. That was the one that happened to mention the three different frequency settings for the unit.
Ah-Ha!
Problem solved!
You guys that are trying to outpost each other are whack! Although now I guess I'm giving you another posting opportunity.
Have at it.
Charlie

Glad it worked out for you!

I'd say 80% of the time what you're looking for will be on ETC's website. They're really good about having all sorts of documentation there.

As to the "local vs. factory" discussion. Sure, keep a relationship with the local shop, etc. But, especially if you're really pushing your gear/console/etc, calling the factory will be a good first choice. If I can't make the console do what I want, I know I'll have better programming support from ETC than Barbizon, for example. That isn't a slight AT ALL. If it's Sunday afternoon and my dimming system is freaking out, I'll call the local tech first. They're more likely to be able to support me right away.

--Sean

Sean:
that was spot on.
Ah-Ha!
Problem solved!
Have at it.
Charlie

Trying to outpost is nothing..its done on all messsage boards.

Now something site specific you'll find here is the metric/imperial war. Feel free to take a look over in Hughsies intro thread and down in the Off topic forum.

Feel free to stick around this is a good place to get all sorts of random info you never thought you'd need!

But, especially if you're really pushing your gear/console/etc, calling the factory will be a good first choice. If I can't make the console do what I want, I know I'll have better programming support from ETC than Barbizon, for example.
--Sean

Absolutely - but he wasn't pushing the gear here. He was asking how to get gear he JUST purchased working correctly. While ETC is great at that, my first question is why the heck wasn't he trained by the people he bought the gear from in the first place. At the very least, why didn't they check to make sure that the gear was working before it went to the customer.....

I figure that is what the dealer is there for and they should be able to help him out.

Just my .02.

Oh -and I am more than happy to help out when ever I can. I still think that I owe you a post about ION... Hopefully I will have time to get that out tonight - but it may have to wait till next week. I have been just swamped the last couple of weeks at work.

Jeff

Last edited:
Absolutely - but he wasn't pushing the gear here. He was asking how to get gear he JUST purchased working correctly. While ETC is great at that, my first question is why the heck wasn't he trained by the people he bought the gear from in the first place. At the very least, why didn't they check to make sure that the gear was working before it went to the customer.....
I figure that is what the dealer is there for and they should be able to help him out.
Just my .02.

I agree, and understood that. I was responding to the "factory vs. dealer" discussion into which this thread was beginning to morph. Yes, if you can't get your brand new board to work, contact the dealer.

--Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back