ETC S4WRD Color?

Since it's not out yet, anyone want to speculate on a price?
I'll say $1100, which is too expensive to me, but I think if it's any less than that, you can't justify the $600 street price for the cheapest current S4WRD

At $1100 you just buy a color source spot. I think it has to be $800 or less to make financial sense.
Well, a color source spot jr.
But for those who already have a fleet of of source fours with their preference of barrel etc, even if the price was the same, I think most people would upgrade the "real" S4

I'd love to see some figures on its color rendering, and what sort of output it has, especially in comparison to a CS Spot / CS Spot jr. It's starting to be a crowded field.

I hope it avoids all the overtemp issues the S4Wrds had.

I'd love to see some figures on its color rendering, and what sort of output it has, especially in comparison to a CS Spot / CS Spot jr. It's starting to be a crowded field.

I hope it avoids all the overtemp issues the S4Wrds had.
What overtemp issues? I only have installed 4 and they've been flawless at 100% all day. In a conditioned space, but sometimes exceeding 80 degrees

What I always want to see with new LED devices, and often don't get, is photometric data comparing it to an incandescent fixture with half a dozen standard gel colors. Can it accurately replicate the same colors? How bright is it in comparison?
I agree. It would be amazing to see. But hard to compare because you're comparing the ETC profile for the console's ability to replicate the specific color. We see it alot in moving lights and sometimes you're looking at it thinking "well, those lights aren't both reaaaalllly R27 or R80 but they seem close enough."
And the ones we theatre people really care about are the super pale colors and the accuracy of measurement probably has enough slop to cover up any differences or so all over the place like looking at Lustr 2 charts, it's all kind of a wash. Haha, sorry. Unintentional lighting joke.

What overtemp issues? I only have installed 4 and they've been flawless at 100% all day. In a conditioned space, but sometimes exceeding 80 degrees

From etcconnect.com:

Source4WRD uses a heat pipe that is especially designed for the product. Inside the heat pipe, water moves at supersonic speeds to rapidly cool the LED emitters. Due to some of the processes the heat pipe went through in manufacture and testing, some pipes were degrading the material inside the shell and causing clogs, resulting in overtemp problems.

This has resulted in bulk failures on some sites.
We have been working on the problem for 6 - 9 months and our data shows that the heat pipe has been greatly stabilized and failures are reducing rapidly. But there are still some fixtures in the field that may show this problem.

We do apologize for the troubles you've had. Some units have worked perfectly and some sites had multiple failures. I urge you to let our technical service people know how you are doing and don't be shy about informing us if there are other failures. We take this issue very seriously - but it has been very complicated to resolve. Thanks for your patience.

David Lincecum
VP Marketing, ETC

I've, uh, worked in one of those installations. (I'm not certain the venue owners reported their issues to ETC; I certainly made them aware of them, however.) It's difficult running a show when units would randomly decide not to show up to work that day.

It *does* sound like the problem's been fixed; I haven't heard about similar problems with the 4Wrd II's.

Last edited:
From etcconnect.com:

I've, uh, worked in one of those installations. (I'm not certain the venue owners reported their issues to ETC; I certainly made them aware of them, however.) It's difficult running a show when units would randomly decide not to show up to work that day, apparently at random.

It *does* sound like the problem's been fixed; I haven't heard about similar problems with the 4Wrd II's.
I still come across this issue occasionally. I believe it has all been series 1 though for us. All indoors in well ventilated rooms, just got my most recent one back last week actually.

What is great about ETC though, they are easy to get the issue taken care of. I send them in, and then they show back up repaired pretty quickly. They stand by their products, especially when they have issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back