ETC S4WRD Color?

My theatre still had AMX ports until 2008. So evolution can be really slow...

We still have CD80s running on two universes (is that even the right term?) of AMX 192. There’s a 12 channel Mantrix 2S for control from the stage managers panel backstage. And at FOH there’s a Flee.nor converter to take the DMX from a DMX King eDMX1. And that gets sACN from a Pearl Expert and from my phone which has a couple apps that let me use it as a focus remote without needing to boot up the console.

Did a shootout last week with the S4wrd Color, Colorsource spot Jr(Deep Blue), colorsource spot(Not Deep Blue), and solaframe 750. The purpose of this setup was as a console demo, so we didn't go too far into the various fixtures, but some thoughts:

Using 19 degree lenses(and the Jr. zoomed to be roughly the same size circle on the wall), here's what we found:

Brightness on the S4wrd is comparable to the CS Spot Jr DB, when mixed to approximately 4500k(Note that I did not have a profile in the console for S4wrdC, but used generic RGBA), and both of these are roughly half the brighness of the full-size CS Spot. The Solaframe 750, when zoomed to the same size with a sharp edge, appeared roughly twice as bright as the CS Spot.

The field on the S4wrdC was not nearly as even as any of the other options - there was some mottling of color, even after testing with a S4 LED Homogenizer(borrowed from our stock of Lustrs) in the template slot, and R119 in the color frame.

Color rendering was different than the CS Spot units - this will probably be closer with an ETC-calibrated profile in the console. As-is, red in particular seemed slightly duller/deeper.

Gobos went sharp(especially with an EDLT lens), but there was a small but noticable amount of LED rainbow along the edges. This was completely eliminated with the addition of the homogenizer.

Overall seems like a decent option for retrofit of existing inventories on a low budget. Given a choice, I would always pick a CS Spot JR or full size CS Spot over this unit.

<snip>
The field on the S4wrdC was not nearly as even as any of the other options - there was some mottling of color, even after testing with a S4 LED Homogenizer(borrowed from our stock of Lustrs) in the template slot, and R119 in the color frame.
</snip>
Hi Nate - wondering if the homogenizing filter was installed on the reflector? It is in the retrofit kit, but this is an easy step to miss. This video shows it at the end.

Luke

Hi Nate - wondering if the homogenizing filter was installed on the reflector? It is in the retrofit kit, but this is an easy step to miss. This video shows it at the end.

Luke

The Homogenizing filter was indeed installed on the reflector.

For clarity, the unevenness of the color was very similar to the unevenness that you see in a S4 field with an HPL - changeable via bench focus, but not able to be completely eliminated. Adding the extra homogenizer improved this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back