Control/Dimming ETC Sensor 48 Touring Racks Network help

Hi all,

I'm having issues getting two Sensor 48 Touring Racks connected to my ETC Element over Ethernet. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the networking configuration on the racks or the console, and I'm a little leery to change settings on the console, because it is able to talk to my other three permanently installed racks (which are the newer Sensor 3's) over Ethernet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This isn't a show critical issue, as I'm able to bypass and use a clunky dry line patch using an audio pass thru to get DMX into the racks to make the shows happen, I'm just hoping to be able streamline the process a little more.

Thanks!

Have you verified that you have the correct IP and subnet mask information entered in the console and the gateway? I'm assuming you have a gateway set up by the racks.

Here are ETC default IP addresses. I assume your permanent racks are addressed 10.101.101.101 to 10.101.101.103. It is easy enough to check. The touring racks can start after that at 10.101.101.104. Subnet and Gateway are listed at bottom of page.

Last edited:
Because someone always says it, and it's always sound advice...

Have you called ETC tech support yet?

They were nice enough to spend nearly an hour on the phone with me, troubleshooting an Obsession II. We never did achieve all the desired results, but they got 90% of my concerns addressed. On a device that they sunsetted years ago. Good people!

Cem classic or cem+ or sensor 3? What software version on the module? Net 3/sacn was added in a later version of cem+and may not be on by default.

I'd agree with calling etc if it's a cem+, the interface can be unintuitive and clunky, and when it breaks it breaks real good...

Here are ETC default IP addresses. I assume your permanent racks are addressed 10.101.101.101 to 10.101.101.103. It is easy enough to check. The touring racks can start after that at 10.101.101.104. Subnet and Gateway are listed at bottom of page.
It's probably better to make the portable racks group 2, which would put their ips starting at 10.101.102.101. I wouldn't want to try and modify the current grouping setup if I could avoid it.

The console isn't going to talk to two different subnets unless there are two, separate, network interfaces.

There are a few reasons why this may or may not be true.

1) Primarily, Standard ETC network configuration is for 10.101.0.0/16, Given that this was a reply to a comment about using standard ETC ip addresses I don't feel bad about saying it.
2) Depending on your network configuration, unless IGMP snooping is enabled all multicast traffic will be broadcast to all ports on the switch. Given that sacn is multicast you can have whatever IPs you want and sACN will still communicate fine. Enable IGMP snooping and that probably becomes less true.. although I suppose it depends on if you have a valid route to the configured querier.
3) If you were feeling terribly creative, you could setup a routed network and communicate between 10.200.101.0/24 and 10.200.102.0/24. This should work for communication with ETC racks, though I wouldn't recommend it.

If you are still have issues, and as others mentioned please call ETC Tech Support. The number is 1-800-775-7382. It's 24/7/365. If you call after hours please leave a message and they will get back to you within 15 minutes.

Hi all,

I'm having issues getting two Sensor 48 Touring Racks connected to my ETC Element over Ethernet. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the networking configuration on the racks or the console, and I'm a little leery to change settings on the console, because it is able to talk to my other three permanently installed racks (which are the newer Sensor 3's) over Ethernet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This isn't a show critical issue, as I'm able to bypass and use a clunky dry line patch using an audio pass thru to get DMX into the racks to make the shows happen, I'm just hoping to be able streamline the process a little more.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back