Control/Dimming ETC Sensor Rolling Racks

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the LD as a fool. If the end result looked good as an LD he did his job right. It has been discussed here before about who is responsible for the shop order and so forth but the higher up you go the less the LD will be specing. Hell it could have been a typo. Not that am excusing ignorance or carelessness but mistakes happen.

This is kind of a PSA to all aspiring techs, know dimmers and power distribution. There are alot of different types of moving lights and gadgets on the market right now but when it comes down to dimmers with more than 12 channels I have only seen one name. ETC. It might not be the most glamorous job in the world but ounce you understand the small and large touring racks you will be able to be useful on any tour or any job site. Understanding how they patch and what options are available will also help with an ME making paperwork.

As Soundman says, people make mistakes. A simple slip up on the paperwork doesn't undermine the validity of the design.

I've seen the graphic standard for a S4 10º, labeled as a 13º, and it turned out to be a 14º.

No biggie, a quick e-mail to a designer will clear up most mistakes in a matter of seconds.

Wow, that thread got a little ridiculous.

Yes, that is totally normal for the dimmers and the brain to slide out ever so slightly in transit.

Yes, everybody does it...once.

e

Sorry if I sound cranky, I am.

"I didn't get a harrumph outta that man." -Mel Brooks

"Give the Governor an harrumph!" -Harvey Korman

See everyone, it's not solely me! Other people care about how you express yourself in public and weather [watch those homonyms] you use standard terms and correct spelling, grammar and punctuation.

'Scuse me Captain Homonym, that should be whether. *ducks and runs*

I have a feeling I'd get decked if an Upstaging Crew Chief said, "Take that dimmer to stage right" and I replied "Which dimmer? Don't you want them all over there?"

That comeback would be out of my mouth so fast.... (of course, If I didn't say it people would think I asn't feeling well) :lol: :rolleyes:

What am I, an Entertainment Technician or an English teacher?:rolleyes:

Yes!

Do permanent installation racks have spares? I would think not, but then again ETC has a knack for surprising me.
Posted via Mobile Device

When I worked at Colortran customers would specify if they wanted "in the rack" spares. For example, someone might order a D192 Dimmer Rack with 96 dimmers and eight spares. The rack would ship with 104 dimmer modules, but the control module would be programmed to only recognize and control 96.

This was back in the late 1980s. I don't know if it is still done today.

Yes, that is totally normal for the dimmers and the brain to slide out ever so slightly in transit.

My brain slides out in transit all the time. :lol:

When I worked at Colortran customers would specify if they wanted "in the rack" spares. For example, someone might order a D192 Dimmer Rack with 96 dimmers and eight spares. The rack would ship with 104 dimmer modules, but the control module would be programmed to only recognize and control 96.

:lol:

This reads odd. The CM can only ever be programmed for 96 modules, as that's what the rack holds. The CM cannot control more then 96.

The 8 spare dimmers might be 4 modules ?, and unlike the portable Sensor 24 and 48 module racks, no Colortran or ETC permanent rack had built in space to store spare dimmers - if every slot and dimmer connection is used for circuits. If you have spare slots not connected, you can either use an Air Flow Module, or pop a spare into that slot.

Spares are stored somewhere external of the rack. Usually in the original shipping box on the floor next to the rack(s), never used and collecting dust, as these things seemingly never fail.

FWIW, and for those who've never seen or used a Colortran D192 dimming rack, they are a bit wider and taller then a Sensor 48 module rack, yet hold 96 modules - or 192x2.4kw dimmers, thus the "D192" designation. A very nice, durable design that Colortran should have stayed with.

Steve B.

At the risk of angering the syntax police...

One of the things that I have to remember about the Sensors is resetting the CEM after powering up as was mentioned by a previous post. The sensor CEM wants to see all three phases of power at once or an error is generated in the CEM. We frequently use generators on movie sets and the phase power is plugged in one at a time. Generally, in the rush to get to first shot, this error rears its ugly head as the Gaffer is calling for his first light to focus. My fellow electricians on other sets use the main breaker to power up the rack in the morning but I, having been schooled in rental shops, can still hear my former boss saying "That is a breaker, not a f$%g switch!". And, locking mechanism or not, every sensor gets it module seating checked on delivery and setup.

At the risk of angering the syntax police...

One of the things that I have to remember about the Sensors is resetting the CEM after powering up as was mentioned by a previous post. The sensor CEM wants to see all three phases of power at once or an error is generated in the CEM. We frequently use generators on movie sets and the phase power is plugged in one at a time. Generally, in the rush to get to first shot, this error rears its ugly head as the Gaffer is calling for his first light to focus. My fellow electricians on other sets use the main breaker to power up the rack in the morning but I, having been schooled in rental shops, can still hear my former boss saying "That is a breaker, not a f$%g switch!". And, locking mechanism or not, every sensor gets it module seating checked on delivery and setup.

Hmmm.....I think that would have been me on the main breaker comment.

:)

ST

Clarification please. Is it being said that a Touring Rack's Main Breaker should NEVER be operated manually, and should only move or be moved in an overcurrent situation? (Because if that's the case, ALL owners and users of these systems need some serious re-training.) Isn't it a good idea to "exercise" all circuit breakers at some interval? Or are we talking about making/breaking while under load?

meatpopsicle, are you saying it's your practice to plug live Camloks with the rack's Main Breaker in the ON position? (Proper procedure, of course, would require an appropriately-sized, fused local [accesible] disconnect in front of any portable lighting distribution equipment. Absolutely required if more than one device is being fed from the same power source, either via pass-thru's or Y's/Tees/W's/Splitters/Spiders.)

Live camloks into the racks? No no. Build the system first, terminating all cam lines with appropriate distro boxes or other equipment (dimmers, motor distros ect. ect.,) then send the system hot by plugging into the generator. Its usually idleing when we plug it, but if the generator has been hotted to get the equipment trucks gates going or power to craft service then the lines are hotted with the plant running. Overcurrent protection is maintained by the main breaker on the generator and branch breakers at the distro.

In a live venue situation an appropriate disconnect should be placed for the appropriate safety reasons and so that the mains on the dimmer rack are not used as a switch. As to excercising the breaker...I think Steve is more qualified to comment on that. Colorfully, I might add.

Last edited:
Are we overlooking something though? Is it improper to exercise circuit breakers?

Failure to manually exercise the mechanism can cause the breaker to open slower than specified or not operate. Most manufacturers recommend that if a molded-case circuit breaker has not been operated, opened or closed within six months time, it should be removed from service, and the mechanical operation and the tripping mechanism manually exercised.

Circuit breakers—are you protected? Fuses offer an alternative in maintaining uninterrupted service when implementing PDUs | Communications News | Find Articles at BNET

Help! We have circuit breakers, specifically molded case circuit breakers, everywhere in our plant. We perform little or no maintenance of our electrical equipment and circuit breakers. What would you recommend as the single most important and least expensive maintenance service on our circuit breakers? We have 2000 amp main circuit breakers; 400 amp feeder circuit breakers; I-Line circuit breakers; Mostly three pole 480 volt circuit breakers.

The single best and most inexpensive service on a molded case circuit breaker is to exercise the breaker when you have the opportunity. Open and close the circuit breaker carefully five times. Does the circuit breaker latch open and close properly? And when you exercise the circuit breaker, listen to the circuit breaker operation. Does the circuit breaker open with a single snapping sound or does the circuit breaker sound like one or more of the three poles opened slower than the first pole to open. When the circuit breaker is closed, do all three poles of the circuit breaker close simultaneously. The circuit breaker should open and close with a single snapping sound. Opening and closing the circuit breaker exercises the circuit breaker operating mechanism. It also “wipes” the contacts of the circuit breaker, lowering the contact resistance of the circuit breaker. When the circuit breaker contacts close, they will rub, ie wipe, slightly together, cleaning the contact surfaces of each pole of the circuit breaker. And while you’re doing this, visually inspect the circuit breaker. If the power is on while you’re exercising the circuit breaker, be careful! Be safety conscious! Use your right hand to operate the circuit breaker. Don’t touch anything else when operating the circuit breaker. Keep your body and face as far away from the circuit breaker as possible. Turn your face away from the circuit breaker when you are exercising it. There should not be any exposed energized circuit breaker parts, bus or cable terminations. If there is, use extreme caution and use the proper personal protective equipment (PPE), per NFPA 70E. Actually, if there are exposed energized parts, you must be able to justify being near them. You must justify not turning the power off to exercise the circuit breakers. This also relates to NFPA 70E. One last caution. If the handle of the molded case circuit breaker is broken, be very careful because the metal stud exposed by the broken handle may actually be energized at full voltage. On some circuit breakers, the metal stud is electrically connected to the center pole and therefore part of the electrical circuit. This can be deadly. So be careful.

http://www.swgr.com/store/Molded-Case-Circuit-Breaker-Home.aspx

Last edited:
Originally Posted by philhaney

This reads odd. The CM can only ever be programmed for 96 modules, as that's what the rack holds. The CM cannot control more then 96.

The 8 spare dimmers might be 4 modules ?, and unlike the portable Sensor 24 and 48 module racks, no Colortran or ETC permanent rack had built in space to store spare dimmers - if every slot and dimmer connection is used for circuits. If you have spare slots not connected, you can either use an Air Flow Module, or pop a spare into that slot.

Spares are stored somewhere external of the rack. Usually in the original shipping box on the floor next to the rack(s), never used and collecting dust, as these things seemingly never fail.

FWIW, and for those who've never seen or used a Colortran D192 dimming rack, they are a bit wider and taller then a Sensor 48 module rack, yet hold 96 modules - or 192x2.4kw dimmers, thus the "D192" designation. A very nice, durable design that Colortran should have stayed with.

Steve B.

Sorry, my bad (hey, I worked there from 1987 to 1989. It's been a while :oops: ).

You're right. The rack didn't have space for spares, and what I should have said was that someone would order a half-rack, or 96 dimmers (48 dimmer modules) and 4 or 6 spare dimmer modules. Usually, they would sit next to the rack, but on a few rare occasions, we would install the copper output connectors in the back so the spare dimmer modules would "stick" when plugged into the rack, but we woudn't install the copper buss bar for input power, and the CM would be programmed for 48 modules.

One of my favorite things about that rack was the air-flow switch in the exhaust vent on top. There was a little paddle that stuck out into the air flow coming out of the top of the rack. It was attached to a micro switch. As long as there was enough air flow coming out of the rack to hold the paddle up, everything was fine. Lose the air flow, the paddle would drop, and the CMs would shut the rack down. At all the school installs I checked out I had to warn them, and still, at some point a student would come in and throw their books or jacket on top of the rack, block the air flow, and the rack would shut down.

The D192 was a very nice, robust rack, and I agree that Colortran should have stuck with it.

Ahh, for the good old days..... (sigh)

Last edited:
as far as exercising breakers, i will let you come and exercise our main 4000A breaker, and all of our other 400 amp and smaller I-line breakers.

The more difficult they are to throw, the more reason to exercise them to make sure there's minimal chance of them getting stuck or jammed and failing.

FYI the 4000A breaker is like that one on Jurassic Park, you pump it up and then you throw it on. Just its about 50 years old (pretty freaky if you ask me). It is on the things to replace list though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back