ETC Smartfade faders not working

I have a Smartfade. I have erased all settings from it. When I'm in love patch mode, and cycle thru, the lights come on. When I hit the bump buttons, the lights come on. When I raise the faders, the lights don't come on. Blackout is off, or the lights wouldn't bump anyway. I have erased everything. Is there something stupid I overlooked? Please let me know.

Steve

You probably want to do a 'deep clear' which erases EVERYTHING and puts the board back to factory original settings. The method varies slightly depending on which board and software version you have. There are a few other possibilities but clearing will eliminate most of them.

The short answer is call ETC tech support 800 688-4116 they can walk you through troubleshooting and clearing and even getting it repaired.
https://www.etcconnect.com/Support/Contact-Us.aspx

Sounds like you might be in NEXT mode. Tap the NEXT button once.
I have had the indicator LED for both the "next" mode and the "blackout" button fail. ETC fixed things up but the board had to go to Wisconsin. till that happened it was very confusing. They did offer a loaner but i had some down time.
This is the issue I had once. I was beginning to compose a post yesterday evening, but paused to play with my SF a foot to the right of my keyboard. I didn't post because the bump buttons light up when in the faders are operated in NEXT mode. My other thought was that it had to do with the PREVIEW button, but pressing it didn't seem to do anything and I didn't have the time to pull up the manual to remember what that mysterious button does. I suppose I could do that now...

The PREVIEW button allows you to press a bump button and have the display show programmed intensities for MEMS faders 1 - 24.
Not sure why it wasn't activating when I hit the button yesterday; it worked just now. Maybe it had to do with the button mashing I was doing to try to figure out the OP's issue.

EDIT: (Editing this post to avoid a triple post.) There was an issue at one point with the blue LEDs being used behind the buttons. They were failing for some reason. My board was around 6 months old when some went out. I called tech support because my faders weren't working, but the bump button LEDs were tracking with the fader movement. I had bumped the next button, but didn't know because the LED was out. Ambient light was bright enough that I couldn't tell it wasn't dimly glowing when not in NEXT mode. Didn't take tech support very long to have me press NEXT once and my faders were working. I was asked to restart the board and watch as all the LEDs light. Sure enough some of the blue ones didn't come on. I was asked to return the board "to prove a point" and they shipped a new one overnight.

Last edited:
Odd, I just had a board that the "Next" and "Blackout" button LED's failed. Obviously made operating it extremely confusing. ETC tech support had me do the hardware test and discovered the problem quickly.

Yes! That was wrong with mine. I knew the black out button wasn't working. But the next button threw me off! It's fixed, just have to make a note that those buttons aren't working for the intern kids.

Yes! That was wrong with mine. I knew the black out button wasn't working. But the next button threw me off! It's fixed, just have to make a note that those buttons aren't working for the intern kids.
Good to know! I would still suggest contacting ETC about it. I don't know how they are handling it since mine was still under warranty and they wanted it back and sent a replacement, but being a known issue, they may fix it for no charge even if out of warranty. I wonder if @sashapixie knows....

Good to know! I would still suggest contacting ETC about it. I don't know how they are handling it since mine was still under warranty and they wanted it back and sent a replacement, but being a known issue, they may fix it for no charge even if out of warranty. I wonder if @sashapixie knows....

They fixed my out of warranty unit up without any charges. after talking with ETC support, I had to make the return arrangements through an ETC dealer.
It's likely You can get a loaner to fill in during the Wisconsin vacation time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back