Control/Dimming ETC Smartfade now a Legacy product

JohnD

Fight Leukemia
I just noticed that the Smartfade consoles are now listed as legacy product.
That sort of answers questions raised when the ColorSource consoles were released.
http://www.etcconnect.com/Products/Consoles/Smart-Family/
Of course, that is not too scary considering ETC's commitment to supporting legacy product.
EDIT: Another change is with the Nomad key/dongle/do-hickey. Used to be it was available from a half universe size on up, now you have two choices, a 1 universe or a 12 universe.

Last edited:
Yes with the release of the ColorSource console line, ETC made the decision to Legacy the Smartfade console line. From my understanding, it was also becoming more difficult to source a few components in the Smartfade.

All ETC Consoles/Nomad devices are going to the base/unlocked model.
If you buy a new console now, it will only be available in those 2 flavors. If you have an Eos console, with the Eos 2.6.0 release, the software will adjust your output count to this model. Meaning if you are below or at the base level, you are brought up to the base level. If you are above the base level but below the unlocked level, you are brought up to the unlocked level. If you are above the unlocked level (in small cases) you remain at the level you have.
This is the same for Cobalt software when Cobalt 8.0.0 releases this fall.
Note for what I stated above, the console software is making the output count change. It is not permanently changing your dongle count. I.E. if you have a Nomad dongle with 2K output, Eos 2.6.0 will let you output 6K, but if you downgrade from 2.6.0 to to 2.5.2 or earlier, your output will be reduced back to 2K.
Note for the note; Lets say you have a 256 Nomad. With Eos software 2.6.0 and above you now have 512 Nomad. If you purchase an upgrade to 6K, that permanently changes your dongle count. Meaning after the upgrade to 6K if you install 2.5.2 software, you will still be able to output 6K.

Hope that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back