ETC SmartSoft Opinions?

Chris Chapman

I may be doing some refurb in a small Community Center space that is running a SmarFade. I only recently became aware of ETC's SmartSoft package. I've downloaded the manual and given it a quick perusal. Does Smartsoft kind of bring a Smartfade into the world of the old Express user environment, or is it completely different? I'm trying to evaluate whether using Smartsoft will help them with building Cue Stacks/Cues and being able to use the board more as a GO board vs. two scene preset.

How much does running SmartSoft improve the SmartFade Operator experience? Or does it?

I may be doing some refurb in a small Community Center space that is running a SmarFade. I only recently became aware of ETC's SmartSoft package. I've downloaded the manual and given it a quick perusal. Does Smartsoft kind of bring a Smartfade into the world of the old Express user environment, or is it completely different? I'm trying to evaluate whether using Smartsoft will help them with building Cue Stacks/Cues and being able to use the board more as a GO board vs. two scene preset.

How much does running SmartSoft improve the SmartFade Operator experience? Or does it?

I work at two different theaters that have SmatFade Boards. I think the SmartSoft Software is well worth the free download. I use it mainly during the programming stage, because of how the board is designed you cannot add additional timing options (such as wait times, and separate up/down fade times). Thus i use the board to immediately add those timings before i forget. I also will run a monitor from the computer to the LD or SM so that they can see all the levels and fades during rehearsals to judge if they should make any changes. The last thing you can utilize the software for is actually programming away from the board, on one occasion i had to program an entire show on the software and then save it and load it into the SmartFade the next day before rehearsal. This is not something i would suggest doing a lot because programming on a computer is much slower than at the board itself, but it is possible in a pinch.

This software is by no means perfect and does have its problems, like the occasional freeze up, but like i said above, it is worth the download. I keep it on my laptop and just plug it in when i work at a facility with the board.

Smartsoft is an add-on to the board when connected and an offline tool when not. It can only add to the experience, but I would never consider it like an Express.

As Joseph above, I find it very helpful in doing detailed cue programming. Lots of folks use SF for super simple events with little to no preprogramming. When that's the case the software doesn't add much because there isn't much anyone would want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back