ETC to Strand Conversion, can it be done and how?

kittyn3

I have a Strand 520i Strand Lighting board. I need to convert an Obsession show file into a Strand showfile, so that I can just the disk in and go. I can convert the Obsession file to an Ansi text file but I can't seem to get it to convert into an Ascii text file. And then when I use Showport, it converts it with errors so it doesn't work in th Strand board. Can anyone help give me any ideas on how to get it to work? Thanks in advance for any ideas. :confused:

First, do you have access to both consoles? Moving from an expression file to the strand files is a pretty easy jump, moving from obsession is another story. If you are running movers, forget about it, at least doing it yourself. There are numerous companies that can do this for you for about a few hundred, so how much is your time worth? If the showport software isn't doing it for you, there are a few other ways. If you have both consoles, you can DMX out of out console, put the same patch in the new console, and DMX in to that console. You have to re-record each cue cue only and convert the times over, but it sure beats repeating everything in. This would be my personal suggestion. If you have intels, it gets a tad bit harder to do if you still want automove while dark and all that good stuff to work.

I have a Strand 520i Strand Lighting board. I need to convert an Obsession show file into a Strand showfile, so that I can just the disk in and go. I can convert the Obsession file to an Ansi text file but I can't seem to get it to convert into an Ascii text file. And then when I use Showport, it converts it with errors so it doesn't work in th Strand board. Can anyone help give me any ideas on how to get it to work? Thanks in advance for any ideas. :confused:

I'd recommend posting this over on lightnetwork.com. One of the regulars is Tim Buchman, the OB console op. at the City Center in NYC. He's about as conversant in this stuff as anyone on the planet.

SB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back