ETCedit

jcld

Hi all,

Has anyone here been able to use ETCedit on a machine runnning Win2k or WinXp? I can get the program itself to run fine, but it will not read nor write floppy's which is a little problematic when trying to import a show from the light board. The program works swell in Win98, but I would like to ditch 98 and move my laptop to win2k. Any thoughts?

jcld said:
Hi all,

Has anyone here been able to use ETCedit on a machine runnning Win2k or WinXp? I can get the program itself to run fine, but it will not read nor write floppy's which is a little problematic when trying to import a show from the light board. The program works swell in Win98, but I would like to ditch 98 and move my laptop to win2k. Any thoughts?

Hiya, and welcome.
We just switched from Win 95 to Win XP ( yes W95--I know--but its a government backed community college so naturally they will be 8 years behind the times in computer upgrades :) ) and so far no problem with ETC edit in reading or writing. I would imagine that if it runs and writes on XP it should do the same on 2k. Did you check the ETC website for any upgrades? ETC doesn't really "support" ETC edit..it just exists like HogPC and similar.

Few things to check:
What error messages are you getting? Have you tried wiping the old program and reloading ETC edit from a new download? Have you tried reading & writing with other programs to your floppy disk (may be your drive or your disk)? Does your lighting console have current software because it sounds like the format that ETC edit may be looking for is not on there if its not reading or may not be current to some of the new formats. Have you tried different floppies--I know sometimes with ETC edit they prefer it to be a 2mb high density and not a 1.44mb? I know they sound like obvious questions--but its better to eliminate the obvious. =)

Post back and perhaps someone on here can help ya further. Another place to check out that I know some ETC folks hang out at is the Lighting Forum over at www.prosoundweb.com

cheers,
-wolf

Thanks for the info. I have already tried or ruled out most of the things you mentioned. I downloaded the most recent program from etcconnect and I did a clean install of the program. The program is set up on a dual boot machine win98 and win2k. When I boot to Win98 everything works perfect, so I am pretty sure it isn't a hardware problem. The read write problem is eveident on every Win2k or WInxp machine I have tried it on.

I am using a Microvision FX it has the most recent software installed. The board uses the old timey double density 1meg disks, and not the new high density disks. I have tried several different floppies to no avail.

On to your replies

What error messages are you getting
I am getting the error that the diskette format does not match the specified show type. I get this error regardless of which show type I choose. Vison, Microvision, etc.

I have tried setting up the program by telling it that I have a high density disk and with a low density disk and I still encounter the same problems.

I have a few questions for you Wolf, what console are you using with ETCedit?

I have a feeling that the problem lies in the High Density/Low Density disk thing but I can't seem to figure it out. Any help or insight would be apreciated.

Jc

Howdy,
I am using a ETC Expression 3 mainly. The microvision consoles I have used as well tho I haven't seen one in a few years, but I've never done a show with them that I needed to edit with ETC offline editor. I agree it sounds like it could be a disk density or show format problem that is not reading. Win 2k and XP use a higher compression ratio for time, space and better file integrity, and I would bet that files using an older compression would not be as easily recognized. Here's a quick thought that comes to mind...try copying the file onto your hard drive, or then onto a different high density floppy and see if it reads from there. I am thinking it is the disk density format...

The microvisions are much older boards and software, so I wouldn't be surprised if it will only work on an older WIndows program to read and edit. Check the file extension as well and make sure your Window's 2K is set up to associate that file extension with ETC edit.. Sometimes when folks like Bull Gates streamline these new software things for users, they overlook some of the obvious stuff we took for granted in the previous versions, and in their allowing us to customize the program more, we end up having to fill in a lot of the gaps they left behind.

If you have or haven't tried the above yet, give it a go and post back. I'll be glad to offer suggestions as they come to me.

-wolf

Thanks again for looking at my problem. I am a little confused, in your first post you said that you did use ETCedit on a WinXP machine. But if you are using an Expression console you would not be using ETCedit as an offline editor.

I am not sure what you mean by compression and using a tighter compression on a more modern machine. There is no compression involved, perhaps you are thinking of the different file sustems used like FAT or NTFS? Either way a floppy's file system is still plain old FAT and can be read by any other windows or dos based OS.

You had a great idea to try and copy the file over manualy, the problem is that the Microvision uses a non-standard format to save data and so the disk cannot be read by the OS. One of the functions of ETCedit is to allow you to read the disk at all, so I can't really do that either.
I know on the newer ETC boards you can read the floppy just like any other floppy, but unfortunately in my case the OS just thinks the floppy is damaged because it can't recognize it at all.

I have done quite a few searches on what changed between WIndows98 and Win2k as far as how it deals with floppies and I can't really discover anything. It could have something to do with the way WIn2k and XP try to emulate a DOS environment. Oh well, I will keep looking. I have a workaround by keeping my dual boot system it just seems like a waste to have it set up to run one program that I use only once a month or so.

Thanks for all of your input

Howdy,
Nope we DO use ETC edit as an offline editor for printing (we have printer probs from ETC consoles sometimes) and adjusting patchlists & cues for shows even tho we do have Expression 3. We also have access to an Insight 3 as well..but both those boards are not in our offices and during a show run if I need to make changes to another show or disk I recieved for an upcoming show--I cant bump the LD off the show or board during show just so I can make changes. Its more practical for us in our situation to have the offline editor available.

I was not aware the Microvisions file format was not readable by the PC, but that could greater explain things.. perhaps Win2k is trained to be looking for a known or traditional file format and that is the problem. Its just not seeing any format it recognizes..not sure.

Not sure what else to tell ya except good luck and please post back if you find out any answers. I'll be glad to try and help any further if I can. Again I suggest you check out the Lighting Forum onm the prosoundweb.com website as some ETC folks hang out there and they may have a few idea's.

cheers,
wolf

Howdy,
Nope we DO use ETC edit as an offline editor for printing (we have printer probs from ETC consoles sometimes) and adjusting patchlists & cues for shows even tho we do have Expression 3. We also have access to an Insight 3 as well..but both those boards are not in our offices and during a show run if I need to make changes to another show or disk I recieved for an upcoming show--I cant bump the LD off the show or board during show just so I can make changes. Its more practical for us in our situation to have the offline editor available.

I was not aware the Microvisions file format was not readable by the PC, but that could greater explain things.. perhaps Win2k is trained to be looking for a known or traditional file format and that is the problem. Its just not seeing any format it recognizes..not sure.

Not sure what else to tell ya except good luck and please post back if you find out any answers. I'll be glad to try and help any further if I can. Again I suggest you check out the Lighting Forum onm the prosoundweb.com website as some ETC folks hang out there and they may have a few idea's.

cheers,
wolf

Howdy,

cheers,
wolf

Ok I am still confused. How can you be using ETCedit with an expression 3 or an insight 3 board. This program only supports the very earliest ETc consoles, the vison, microvision etc. You must be using EOL or the expression offline editor correct? If you are in fact using ETCedit on a WINXP machine and can do disk reads and writes than there is still hope for my problem, but I don't see how you could be using the DOS program ETCedit on your newer consoles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back